Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Identifying Trichocereus pachanoi "PC" and "Real" pachanoi  (Read 89815 times)

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Identifying Trichocereus pachanoi "PC" and "Real" pachanoi
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2016, 03:26:06 AM »

I purchased my first two cacti for my collection and received them in the mail just a few days ago. I wouldn't mind having my pachanoi identified as well. The add specified they grew it from their own confirmed non-pc pachanoi. What do you guys think?

I don't think that's a pachanoi... I do, however, think you got ripped off.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:27:30 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +181
  • In the moment.....
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2016, 03:36:58 AM »

That isn't what I wanted to hear at all. We live and learn I guess. Any ideas as to what it is? I have limited cacti/succulent experience (obviously) lol. I want to learn though of course. Thank you.
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +181
  • In the moment.....
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2016, 03:49:04 AM »

Maybe another angle could help?
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2016, 04:15:54 AM »

too young to really tell

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2016, 05:16:09 AM »

too young to really tell

Agreed. In the first pic I wanted to call it a candle but the second pic made me think differently. Just give it some time and we will see.

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2016, 07:01:10 AM »

give it a year of what your doing and have a look... good job so far

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2016, 01:59:06 AM »

theres a local herb shop near me, and as much as people love having a local herb shop, i as an herbalist, have never been impressed. some shady things going on, old bunk products, 5+ year old dust on everything, not knowledgeable about their products, overpriced, etc. anyway, ive known they sell cacti cuts, but have assumed them to be PC pachanoi, based on my own biased opinion of their business operation.
 luckily, my friend bought a cutting from them a few years ago, grew it out a bit, and gave me a cutting, so i didnt have to waste any money to investigate.
 im no cacti expert, i havent ever seen a confirmed PC to compare with, but i have grown several pachanoi and bridgesii, and a few peruvianus and werdermannianus from seeds. the cutting my friend gave me is much lighter shades of green, with super small uniform spines...looks nothing like my other trichs. i still think its a PC....

heres some pics. yes i know it is etoliating, and my apologies for the quality, thats as close as i can get with my camera and stay in focus. does this look like a PC to you guys?
thanks!

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2016, 11:22:56 PM »

Looks pc to me, also get that guy in the sunshine!
No living organism should be illegal.

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2016, 12:31:45 AM »

thanks, thats what i thought!
yeah idk what im doing with him right now... he started a lil bump of a root a couple months ago, so i put it in that lil pot on a heat mat under lights, but it stopped root growth and started shooting upwards all lankey-like. i was actually considering putting it in a shoe box in a cool closet till spring, see if that would coax the roots out. i get like 4 hours of overcast sunlight each day this time of year, and it was in about as bright of lighting i can provide indoors... still etoliated... my bulbs must be old or something.

oplopanax

« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2016, 09:37:43 PM »

In general, I think that growing that genus under grow lights in the winter is a mistake and leads to etiolation.

I would just put it somewhere cool with no direct light and wait til spring to coax growth out of it.

joemush

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2017, 05:00:49 AM »

Hello share the seeds community,

Im new here and am excited to be apart of this forum. I just purchased some cacti a few days ago and am wondering if they are non-PC. I have three alleged Pachanoi's, two of them are from the same nursery and are genetically identical. The other one is from a different nursery grown in the same conditions and looks genetically different then the first two. The first picture is of my recent cacti purchase as a bunch. The next two are a side and a top view of a cactus from one nursery and the last two are a side and a top view of a cactus from another nursery. I appreciate any opinions from the members. Thank you

oplopanax

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »

Those look pc to me

cactusjames

« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2017, 11:35:16 PM »

Those look pc to me

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

The bottom two photos of a cactus that was apparently bought from a separate nursery than the other trichos seems to show non-pc characteristics. It has V cuts over the areoles and the spines are longer than most PC pachanoi I've ever seen(including my own). Although the trichos in the other photos seem to have the same kind of spines....just without the V cut.
 I admit it doesn't look EXACTLY like what I would expect of non-pc...BUT...as we all know there are variations, especially in the non-pc "realm".
So my guess is you have a possible non-pc in the bottom 2 photos. Although, whatever they are(most likely a mix/hybrid of some kind) they are absolutely beautiful specimens in my opinion.

ENJOY!!!

*And can someone please explain to me(maybe in a PM) what the heck I have to do to earn some karma over here? I contribute too!...lol.*
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:38:08 PM by cactusjames »

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2017, 06:56:09 AM »

pc does not have woolly aeroles would be your first clue......
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9