Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What Do You Do?  (Read 14122 times)

Carnival

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +1
What Do You Do?
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:49:27 AM »

What pays for the time we all spend in our gardens? I assume most of us aren't professional entheogen cultivators (although you never know...).

I'm currently doing work as an EMT.

How about you all?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:58:22 PM by Carnival »
Anyone with an interest in toxic plants should message me!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: What Do You Do?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:14:20 AM »

I translate speech into text for hard of hearing/deaf people's phones.  It's a crappy job. Pays alright.  I also spin poi and stuff. Just for fun though. Hehe.  I sell plants and seeds of cacti on the interwebz as well. 

Cactus = Life

Carnival

• Trader
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 04:10:05 AM »

I also spin poi and stuff...

I'm curious, what do you mean by 'and stuff?' I always love running into fellow flow people. Do you spin any other props as well as poi?

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:25:39 AM »

Well I spin poi and then I mess with short staffs a little bit. Nothing really crazy or anything.  I also like to unicycle and just circus stuff.
Cactus = Life

cloud

• Trading Score: +16
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:18 AM »

Research -  Stable Isotope Analysis (IRMS/IRIS) of:

(at present)
-  Biogenic apatite of mammalian fauna (13C &12C)
-  Plant xylem water (18O & 16O)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »

Software engineer and a a bit of electronics engineering as well..

Also very into circus stuff. Contact staff, hoop, aerial fabric... though I don't do any of that professionally. Just for fun and exercise:)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »

Wow, what a great idea for a topic.
I never really gave it much though, but had I done, I never would have guessed any of that!
Folks with mad skills!!!
I am about as uncoordinated as you can get, so no juggling or fire twirling here, as of yet....
For an occasional day job I dig post holes and pick fruit for a couple local farmers when I'm really broke and have bills to pay(one half day a month normally).
I sell vegie herb and flower seeds on the internet the rest of the time to cover the rent, fuel and electric. Grow most of our food or wildharvest locally. Bit of trade/barter every now and then with other growers, but most stuff we grow our own.

Just me the Mrs, 12guinea pigs, 9chooks, 2 dogs and an army of frogs, snakes, wallabies and parrots, all of us doing not a lot of anything really?
I like to do bugger all as often as is financially possible.  :P
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 02:11:15 PM »

My 9-5 is as a research officer for a small NPO where I'm primarily engaged in ethnobotanical research and project management. I'm also responsible for the organization's general IT concerns and website maintenance. My day-to-day work throws up more administrative tasks and time behind a laptop than I'd ideally like but I work with great people and fascinating material so it'll do fine for the next couple years.

Like a few other folks here, I also spin poi and have recently started juggling clubs. I take paid fire poi gigs from time to time, when I could use the extra cash, but generally prefer spinning for myself and friends/family.

I plan to duck out of the formal economy over the next 3 years to pursue my own business ventures and interests, namely: poi/flow arts, plant-medicines, medicinal mushrooms, and mycoremediation.

Great thread :) I've enjoyed reading about all of your talents, skills, and interests.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »

I am a financial embarrassment. :(
No job :'(

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a proud househusband!!!!!!!
and love it, do not judge me, my wife pays the bills. :-[

Carnival

• Trader
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »

I plan to duck out of the formal economy over the next 3 years to pursue my own business ventures and interests, namely: poi/flow arts, plant-medicines, medicinal mushrooms, and mycoremediation.

You, my friend, just described my dream job.

Best
~Thomas

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 01:21:11 AM »

Don't feel bad gnosis! I'm a humble grocery store shelf stocker! I work at a small organic grocery store. Get to meet tons off odd but interesting individuals at a health food store let me tell you. I was once an honors student who graduated with the highest honors awards and super high GPA. Had a full scholarship to any Florida college. Went one semester and just never signed back up and never went back lol. Stupid as hell I know...

I too sell plants and seeds online. Makes a small some of extra cash. I plan to open a nursery business but at heart I'm a bitch when it comes to the fear of actually relying on myself and am having a hard time actually doing it...

I have a wife and child as well so I have to know I'm bringing in the bread. I know my regular job won't fail to keep paying if I keep showing up. Someday I'll grow balls...
Spreading love!

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 06:02:04 AM »

I feel like a bit of an under acheiver after reading what some of you do.

For now, I'm a manager at at pizza place and I also sell a couple seeds and plants here and there. Thankfully you guys have helped me diversify a bit so I now have plants that'd be of interest to people who might not be interested in entheogens. Figure its probably a good idea if I ever hope to support myself selling plants, seeds, and fruits.

I spend alot of spare time making music, but never made much money like that :'( 

Hopefully one day my wife will start bringing in the bacon too. She's going to school for accounting while I'm tending plants and making pizzas, so its not too crazy of an idea.

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »

What do you make(I meant music wise)?  I play music as well.  String/percussion stuff.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:46:48 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:03 AM »

9-5 just isn't for me. I've tried it. I just can't do it. I can't go to work 40 hours a week and bust my ass for minimum wage for someone else to reap the profits. Its tiring and gets old quick. I thought about it and I realized that you can't get rich working a 9-5. All the super rich people have one thing in common; They own several businesses.

So...with that being said, I opened my own business. It was really tough getting started but a few days ago I finally launched my website. I am now officially the proud owner of my own bonafide business. :D

In short; I make juice for electronic cigarettes.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 06:51:44 AM »

That's awesome Sunshine!
Major congratulations!!! PM me a link so I can have a peek at it.  ;D
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact
Pages: [1] 2 3