Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Psychotria trouble  (Read 4848 times)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Psychotria trouble
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »

My P. Viridis has white furry stuff growing on it now.  I placed all my Pyschotrias in a Rubbermaid container and they all started looking healthier now I took them outside to enjoy the sun a few minutes and I noticed fur on the plant!  What should I do?

gnosis

Re: Psychotria trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »

I just googled it I am going to spray a little peroxide on it.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

Could be mold... although mold after only a few minutes outside... was the fuzz present before you took them outside? Do you have any plants in your area like bulrush or dandelion whose seeds are dispersed by the wind? Could be as simple as that? In my area all morning I watched little tiny fuzzballs float around as some plant had just finished it's reproductive cycle and had dispersed it's seeds everywhere.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:46:17 PM by TBM »

gnosis

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »

Yeah it was on it before I brought them out.  As soon as I opened the lid I noticed it.
I just sprayed them and it seemed to vanished instantly, hopefully they are ok now.
But I also noticed that a lot of the plants have like black rot on the sprout tips, I know I must be a pain
in the ass with all these newbie situations and I am sorry but I could really
use a little coaching.  Maybe my humidity dome setup sucks. :(

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:41:33 PM »

Humidity domes promote mold no matter what.  Spraying that mold will make it instantly dissapear vissually, but it's most likely still there and will require a few more treatments and lower humidity.  You should start trying to acclamize them to the outside world.  What's your humidity like out there?
Cactus = Life

gnosis

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »

I'm in Jersey I don't think there is a lot of humidity.  I will wait a few days then retreat with peroxide again to make sure all gone.
What about the black stuff on sprouts, is that rot?

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:54:32 PM »

That looks like mold or some sort of mycelium.

If it is mold, hydrogen peroxide might not do much:

"The beauty of peroxide is that it does not kill established mushroom mycelium or interfere with its growth and fruiting.
Despite peroxide’s wide range of action against the common contaminants of mushroom culture, there is a relatively wide
range of concentrations at which peroxide will allow the growth and fruiting of mushroom mycelium. The established
mycelium, because of its ability to produce high levels of peroxide-decomposing enzymes, is evidently able to defend itself
against much higher concentrations of peroxide radical than can isolated spores, cells or tiny fragments of multicellular
organisms. So we can add hydrogen peroxide to mushroom cultures, and the mycelium will grow but the small
contaminants will die."

"Growing Mushrooms the Easy Way" by R. Rush Wayne, Ph.D.

Hcc

gnosis

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »

Do you have any suggestions to get rid of it?

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »

P.v. does well with neem oil:

http://raisedbeds.com/neem-oil-organic-plant-protection/

It works on many molds as well as insects. It does not affect bees or worms though.
http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-bees-beneficial-insects.html

Fungicide Use: For use on fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, roses, flowers, houseplants, trees and shrubs. Controls various fungal diseases including powdery mildew, black spot, downy mildew, anthracnose, rust, leaf spot, boytris, needle rust, scab and flower, twig and tip blight, and alternaria.

Fungicide Application Rate: As a preventative, apply on a 7 to 14 day schedule until disease development is no longer present. To control disease already present, apply this product on a 7 day schedule until disease pressure is eliminated. Continue spraying on a 14 day schedule to prevent disease from reoccurring.
http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/neem-oil-concentrate-insecticide-fungicide-miticide/organic-insecticides

Hcc
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:18:38 PM by happyconcafe »

gnosis

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:12 AM »

Ok so I've used peroxide and also need oil some new growth looks clean but the black
stuff on the tips of the other sprouts seems to be traveling down the stem of the little
sprouts.  Should I just cut it off the black completely?  I'm really concerned.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:16 AM »

That black stuff looks like rot to me, it looks like there's at least one sprout unaffected by the rot (or whatever is causing the blackened area).

Perhaps you could try to pick out anything that looks rotten? Something's telling me it may continue to spread... although I'm no expert; you could try salvaging the unaffected sprouts you can, and restarting the mother leaf? Maybe someone else has better advice?

On another note... it may not be getting enough humidity and drying out on the mother leaf

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »

I would bet on the strength of the plant and not cut anything.
Just be careful that the soil stay moist, but not soaking wet. Must have air circulation in the region of the root.

Anyway soon you will have the opportunity to try again!

Peace

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 03:37:29 AM »

That kind of filametious mold can be controlled just by increasing circulation. Use the smallest desk fan you can find inside your Rubbermaid container and don't aim it right on the plants, and keep the lid on to maintain humidity. Alternatively if it's getting warm and humid where you are they might be able to stay outside. You'll need to acclimate them in stages though, and not just plunk them out in the garden...
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.