Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: poison ivy  (Read 4250 times)

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
poison ivy
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »

Just thought id share some information that i found a bit interesting

Buddy of mine from work has some poison ivy vines in the area he hunts turkey, so i offered to help him clear it out on saturday since i dont have any reaction to this plant.... well surprise turns out i developed a reaction this year and you dont need leaves or an active plant to get contaminated - these vines were all leafless and barely breaking dormancy and they bit me.. all be it a very mild reaction but it still got me

Wish i woould have gotten a picture on day two because its clearing up pretty well now

Edit: just thought that i would add a little note - i was getting some sunshine and cutting up some poison ivy... while getting some poison ivy cuttings for sunshine rofl
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:17:58 AM by hereje »
Hmmm... what does this button do?

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: poison ivy
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »

Yes I too am unaffected by poison ivy. However I had read that the more your exposed to it that your body will begin to react. Its one of those reverse tolerance kinda things. I have even heard of people trying to eat it to build immunity only to either die or be severely injured internally.

Good thing is that usually somewhere in the near vicinity the antidote plant grows. Its called jewel weed. I have never tried to use it hence the fact ivy doesn't bother me...yet.

My son got a little poison ivy not long ago. We only had spray benedril (sp?). Seemed to work fairly well to clear it up.
Spreading love!

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »

My wife used to be immune to it but in recent years she started to get it.

Jewel weed is great for preventing it if you break it open and rub it on yourself before coming into contact with poison ivy. I'm not sure how well it works after you've already gotten the rash.. I will try next time I'm unfortunate enough to get poison ivy.. I'm sure that'll be only a matter of weeks. the stuff grows like mad in some areas that I'm trying to clean up around here.

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »

After this stuff clears up ill have to find some of that plant and test it to see how effective it is
Hmmm... what does this button do?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »

i was getting some sunshine and cutting up some poison ivy... while getting some poison ivy cuttings for sunshine rofl
LOL! That's ironic. I'm glad you remembered that I wanted some.

It is my understanding that the active chemical combines with fat(?) cells in your skin, hence why you can't just wash it off after it has already set into your skin for a period.

If you're going to test efficacy of poison ivy remedies I'd like you to try goldenseal. I think the mechanism of action behind it is that it dries out the skin and absorbs the oil, even after it has set in. My father seems to think it works, though I've never tried it personally. You can find it at health food stores. Though, they are likely to keep it behind the counter. A lot of people steal it and use it to flush their systems before drug tests.

"tea tree" is "melaleuca tree," and I have it on good report that melaleuca oil works wonders on poison oak rash, with almost instant itch relief, and close to overnight disappearance of the rash.

Mix 1/4 part clean water, 1/4 part aloe stems or juice, 1/2 part jewelweed stems and leaves. Mix all in blender. Add one bag of comphry tea per quart and bring to a slow boil. Strain out liquid and put in spray bottle. can easily be sprayed on poison ivy rash as needed. this helps me alot and makes the rash go away quicker with less irritation.
....... make a paste out of Goldenseal Root powder and Aloe Vera Gel. Rub it onto the infected area. The abrasives of the Golden Seal feels great, as well as its ability to draw out the toxins. The Aloe Vera Gel seems to help in keeping the skin from scaring.

My 88 year old neighbor told me about Rat Vein Tea to treat poison ivy. It's an old southern rememdy.

she told me to use touch me nots. Take the stems and flowers and boil them in water. I did and as soon as the mixture cooled I rubbed it on my skin and got instant relief I couldn't believe it but it instantly took the itching away and it only took about three days for it to be gone.

I have a touch of poison oak and what I use to get rid of it is a plant called Wild Peach. It's kind of hard to describe, but the leaves look just like leaves from a peach tree. You pull of some of the leaves and boil them in water to make a tea. You should use an older pot as the leaves will leave a residue. It will come out with an SOS pad. You should drink the tea and dab the tea on the spots of poison oak that you have. It will taste bitter and very different, but it works! I've tried adding sugar, honey but it doesn't help. If you have it over a large part of your body you can take a tepid bath with it. It will take a couple of days to get rid of the poison oak but it is supposed to help build up an ammunity to it. Wild Peach grows close to if not next to poison oak.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/natural.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:15:48 PM by Sunshine »