Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Acacia allergy  (Read 3351 times)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Acacia allergy
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »

Some invasive plants are toxic, can cause skin and respiratory irritations,
and some invasive plants cause seasonal allergies and hay fever, that's my case: I live in a zone were you can find acacias everywhere, specially  acacia longifolia, acacia dealbata, acacia melanoxylon, acacia cyclops and others... when spring arrives the acacia's pollen causes me severe allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis, it makes me sad cause I really love that tree.

This situation only began last year when I came to live in an area with many massive acacias, until now never had any kind of allergy...

"The acacia bush, produces an allergenic pollen that can induce the spring hay fever and asthma. People can also have allergic reactions to acacia gum, made from sap and commonly used as an additive in foods and beverages across the country."

It is unclear why affected individuals are allergic to one substance versus another (allergens), such as pollen, mites, foods, dander, medicines or industrial products. Scientists are unsure why some people have a heightened sensitivity to allergens, but they do know the ways in which the body reacts to increased allergen counts. What you feel when an allergen comes in contact with you is a result of the chain reaction to prevent an attack by a foreign substance

This is others species whose pollen can cause allergies:

Ash (Fraxinus excelsior)
Banana (Platanus sp. / P.orientalis+ P.occidentalis)
Birch (Betula alba)
Bulrush (Typha latifolia)
Cypress (Cupressus arizonica)
Elm (Ulmus campestris)
Eucalyptus (Eucaliptus sp.)
Goosefoot (Chenopodium album)
Graminae (Gramineae)
Hazel (Corylus avellana)
Mercurialis (Mercurialis perennis)
Oak (Quercus rubra)
Olive (Olea europaea)
Palm (Phoenix dactylifera)