Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Why are seeds of the same species (from different sources) different colors?  (Read 3784 times)

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member

So I have some Phalaris brachystachys seeds from two different sources [both are identical in shape & size]; one little bag has white seeds, one little bag has tan/brown seeds.
Grown out to seedlings, they look identical.

I also have Datura innoxia seeds from multiple sources [again, they are the same shape and size] that differ in color.

All of the seeds in each separate bag are the same color as the rest of the seeds in the same bag.

1. Is it the differences in soil that lead to the differences in seed color ?

2. Does the seed color really make no difference ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:02:20 AM by Seed Collector »

onion

• Trading Score: +44
  • Why?

Probably just ecotypic differences. It's common for species to have varied growth or morphological traits associated with their environment. These traits are often genetic, so they would remain wherever they are grown. It's possible that seed color could be a direct response to the growing environment (such as the soil type), but it's more likely to be a genetic trait due to selection pressure within its particular environment over a very long time...
How?

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65

onion is probably right.
I once got brachystachys seed samples from an assortment of mediterranean countries, each batch looked different from the others.
They still looked different when I grew them out in the same soil and climate.

Try to keep some inbred seed from each line, one strain may prove better than the other.

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member

Thanks to both of you for the replies, info, and advice.

onion is probably right.
I once got brachystachys seed samples from an assortment of mediterranean countries, each batch looked different from the others.
They still looked different when I grew them out in the same soil and climate.

Try to keep some inbred seed from each line, one strain may prove better than the other.

I should be able to keep the genetics separated, at least for the most part.

Prolific Growing to you all this year  :)