Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anadenanthera propagation  (Read 3056 times)

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
Anadenanthera propagation
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »

My three Anadenanthera peregrina var peregrina are between 20 and 30cm tall now and I'd like to attempt to root a cutting from the largest one but can find no discussion of this online. Have any STS members tried this? Any thoughts on whether it might/might not work and why?
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
Re: Anadenanthera propagation
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »

I'd try air layering. That way you'll have some roots started before you cut it off the mother plant and will hopefully have a higher success rate.

http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=619.msg3078#msg3078
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:12:46 AM by Greentoe »

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »

I'd say that's the best idea for sure. Seems like tree cuttings are much harder to root than bushes or herbs. I've tried with mimosa hostilis and I usually only get one out of every four to root and it takes quite some time.
Spreading love!

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »

OK great, thanks for the feedback. I've never tried air layering before and didn't quite understand the process when odara first posted it but I've read through the additional resources and get it now. In that case I think I'll let them grow a bit bigger and stronger before trying to air layer - I'm worried they might be a bit delicate at the moment. I'll be sure to post here again in the future when I make my attempt :)
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.