Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Acacias for 6A zone?  (Read 12164 times)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Acacias for 6A zone?
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »

I have been trying to search out if there are any acacias that would survive a 6A zone.
My research skills are somewhat in the basement cause I haven't found nada.  Can
someone give me a hand. :)

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
Re: Acacias for 6A zone?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »

I'm sure others with cold climate Acacia experience will chime in but for starters you could look into the following species: A. acuminata, A. burkittii (sub-species of acuminata), A. phlebophylla, and A. floribunda. Those should all be good down to about 10 degrees Celsius.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »

To add to what Isaak stated:

Acacia alpina
Acacia mucronata

alpina and phlebophylla are incredibly difficult to find.

Burkittii is probably your best bet.

HCC

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »

Plus phlebophylla is a very difficult species to grow. I know of only two or three people in the states who have been successful with it.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Konifer

• USDA Zone 7b
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:18:52 AM »

Acacia acuminata and obtusifolia are the only two I know that can survive in my zone (7b), so I'm sure they would grow in your area as well. I'm actually still researching this for myself, so I don't have a complete list yet, but these two will grow for sure.
Check out my profile!

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 04:24:52 AM »

Acacia acuminata and obtusifolia are the only two I know that can survive in my zone (7b), so I'm sure they would grow in your area as well. I'm actually still researching this for myself, so I don't have a complete list yet, but these two will grow for sure.

I live in zone 7b and have had every single Acacia acuminata die outdoors in the same season, 2 years ago [like 6 plants; each about 3 feet tall].

IDK if they'd have better survival here if they were like 10 feet tall, they might.  nen888 says Acacia acuminata sub. Burkittii would have a better survival rate here; I'm interested in others as well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:27:09 AM by Seed Collector »

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »

Obviously Desmanthus Illinoensis has been previously classified as Acacia Brachyloba and performs well in zone 7b and I've had a Anadenanthera Peregrina(indoors) sprout during the snow but only lasted a week. Made me think of an Amazonian submarine telescope popping it's head up to see what's happening up here temporarily and I have read many places it can sometimes withstand below freezing temperatures so don't lose faith in Acacia Niopo.

Acacia Pravissima, Acacia Melanoxylon, Acacia Retinodes, Acacia Dealbata, Acacia Decurrens, Acacia Longifolia, Acacia Baileyana and sometimes Acacia Convenyi can do well here(Zone 7b) if kept indoors for the first 1-2 years and/or protected(wrapped) in the winter. The wind is usually what kills these acacias.  One could also cut the tree back to the stump to ensure a sturdier/thicker base that would shoot back up in warm weather.  Also has anyone found Mimosa Hostilis(A. Tenuiflora) to withstand northern winters?  There are many other windowsill Acacias that bloom early and will do fine if kept indoors and not exposed to cold drafts.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

Konifer

• USDA Zone 7b
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 03:37:44 AM »

I live in zone 7b and have had every single Acacia acuminata die outdoors in the same season, 2 years ago [like 6 plants; each about 3 feet tall].

IDK if they'd have better survival here if they were like 10 feet tall, they might.  nen888 says Acacia acuminata sub. Burkittii would have a better survival rate here; I'm interested in others as well.

This is good to know, thanks for that. Nen knows a lot about acacias, so I'll take that into account.
Check out my profile!

MrPantaloons

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 05:59:27 PM »

old thread but wanted to mention if anyone stumbles on it that a horticulturalist who's been working at a university for many years warned me acuminata likely wouldn't survive winter in my zone 9b of central texas. I have doubts they'd fare better in colder zones though ymmv.
o lord, make me chaste, but not yet. - augustine

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 01:35:51 AM »

Acuminata Narrow phyllode will do fine zone 7b and up just make sure to keep it in a greenhouse the first 2 winters of its life and get something to wrap the trees in during frost after that if you notice any dying foliage. Frost cloth is available many places and is suitable for small to juvenile plants.
Over the years I've been able to test Acacia trees out in various climates and since I posted on here last, climate change has rapidly accelerated.
The 3 combined factors that make these trees struggle are Wet/Cold/Wind. Usually they are able to make it through each element by themselves but the combination of windy rainy cold spells for extended durations will cause problems for the health of the plant. There are ways around this. Staking the plants up, wrapping the plants, over wintering in a greenhouse, inside by a window or bringing them indoors during snow will buy them more time and increase longevity.
Sometimes they will die back to the ground and resprout in spring. It's important not to baby them too much, they're more resilient than one might imagine. This has just been my subjective experience growing them in Zone 7b, 8b, 9b, 10a.

The top Acacias that can withstand temperatures down to 15F or lower are:

Acacia Baileyana
Acacia Boormanii
Acacia Covenyi
Acacia Dealbata
Acacia Decurrens
Acacia Implexa
Acacia Melanoxylon
Acacia Mucronata
Acacia Pravissima
Acacia Rubida
Acacia Saligna

Additionally these may perform well but I have not gotten to fully test them:
Acacia Acinacea
Acacia Alpina
Acacia Angustissima
Acacia Burkittii
Acacia Cardiophylla
Acacia Constricta
Acacia Farnesiana
Acacia Fimbriata
Acacia Hemiteles
Acacia Kybeanensis
Acacia Longifolia
Acacia Mabellae
Acacia Obliquinervia
Acacia Pataczeckii
Acacia Phlebophylla
Acacia Riceana
Acacia Rigens
Acacia Terminalis
Acacia Verniciflua
Acacia Vestita
Acacia Xanthophloea(if protected from the rain)

Many can grow and thrive far outside their natural range but life expectancy may be greatly reduced or you'll end up with some super strong trees.

(picture is Acacia Mucronata in Zone 7b West Coast,US currently growing wonderfully through November nights in the 20s*farenheit* and did fine down to 15F with snow etc the previous seasons.) edit: idk why the picture became sideways after uploading but here it is
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 03:55:28 AM by AcaciaAve »
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

Mothman

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 08:48:16 AM »

A. Floribunda is rumoured to be very cold hardy as well and has attributes of interest .

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 09:29:34 AM »

Acacia Pravissima & Acacia Dealbata

Acacia Dealbata is a great selection for growers in colder climates that receive heavy rainfall or occasional snow. Sometimes will die back and sprout from the base in spring.
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

acacian

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 07:10:54 AM »

All the below are frost hardy and 'interesting'

some of these it would be preferable to source seed from higher altitude populations as lower coastal forms have been known to struggle in the cold. I have attached a * next to said species and I am working to hopefully get some seed from these populations to share ..

some candidates also seem to have more desireable varieties (melanoxyn, implexa, longifolia for example) of which haven't neccesarily been narrowed down yet. When these nuances are better understood hopefully we will see more selective seed being spread far and wide. But still will be fun to grow regardless!

Acacia Floribunda
Acacia Obliquinerva
Acacia Alpina
Acacia Dellachiana
Acacia Implexa
Acacia Phlebophylla
Acacia Melanoxylon
Acacia Oxycedrus (hybridizes with floribunda.. there is a cultivar started in NSW called abundance which I am trying to find more info on.. seems like it would be a great candidate)
Acacia Mucronata (has a few subspecies)
Acacia Caroleae
Acacia Obtusifolia *
Acacia Longifolia *
Acacia Acuminata
Acacia Burkitti
Acacia Excelsa
Acacia Baileyena
Acacia Decurrens
Acacia Mearnsii

« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:40:33 AM by acacian »

acacian

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 08:36:09 AM »

some of these it would be preferable to source seed from higher altitude populations as lower coastal forms have been known to struggle in the cold. I have attached a * next to said species and I am working to hopefully get some seed from these populations to share ..

some candidates also seem to have more desireable varieties (melanoxyn, implexa, longifolia for example) of which haven't neccesarily been narrowed down yet. When these nuances are better understood hopefully we will see more 'good' seed being spread far and wide. But still will be fun to grow regardless! The one I can't help but keep coming back to for meeting enthnobotanists needs is A. Floribunda.. it grows fast. It tolerates the cold, it looks beautiful and it has a very healthy content (right strain needed though)

Acacia Floribunda
Acacia Obliquinerva
Acacia Alpina
Acacia Dellachiana
Acacia Implexa
Acacia Phlebophylla
Acacia Melanoxylon
Acacia Oxycedrus (hybridizes with floribunda.. there is a cultivar started in NSW called abundance which I am trying to find more info on.. seems like it would be a great candidate)
Acacia Caroleae
Acacia Obtusifolia *
Acacia Longifolia *
Acacia Acuminata
Acacia Burkitti
Acacia Excelsa
Acacia Baileyena
Acacia Decurrens
Acacia Mearnsii

acacian

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 08:38:38 AM »

some candidates also seem to have more desireable varieties (melanoxyn, implexa, longifolia for example) of which haven't neccesarily been narrowed down yet. When these nuances are better understood hopefully we will see more selected seed being spread far and wide. But still will be fun to grow regardless!

Acacia Floribunda
Acacia Obliquinerva
Acacia Alpina
Acacia Dellachiana
Acacia Implexa
Acacia Phlebophylla
Acacia Melanoxylon
Acacia Caroleae
Acacia Obtusifolia *
Acacia Longifolia *
Acacia Acuminata
Acacia Burkitti
Acacia Excelsa
Acacia Baileyena
Acacia Decurrens
Acacia Mearnsii
Pages: [1] 2