Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Electronic Temperature Control device  (Read 3831 times)

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
Electronic Temperature Control device
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »

Just got a few of these (1 to power some warm lights which will heat my water-line's pressure switch), in order to keep my water from freezing at the pressure switch. I thought I'd mention here that these could be used to avoid losing plants to the cold within a greenhouse. I got the Ranco brand ETC 111000-000.

Basically, this thing powers an outlet whenever the temperature probe detects a temperature outside of the set range. This can be used the following way as 1 example:

Say that you have plants in a greenhouse that you are concerned may get too cold and perish; you can set the device's on-when-reaches-temperature & the off-when-reaches-temperature, then plug in a heater.

Ranco ETC 111000-000 - 120V Wiring Guide From Habanero Smoker
  [not my doing, but I like it]

3/8 inch Romex Connector

Diagram

Close up of Diagram

I just now followed this guide and wired up one of these myself, and used a hair dryer to test it, and 2 glasses of water (1 hot; 1 cold). All I had to do was cut an extension cord in half and follow the easy guide to hook up the male & female plug-ins to the device.

P.S. This can be set to heat or cool, and the temperature differential can be set anywhere from 1 to 30 degrees; these can operate on 110 or 220 power.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:57:56 PM by Seed Collector »

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Electronic Temperature Control device
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:51:21 PM »

This is a great idea for a greenhouse.  Thanks for sharing this!
Cactus = Life