Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Zeolite as Soil Medium, Perilite Replacement, Starting Cacti Seeds  (Read 5498 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330

Hi all,

I found a resource that claims using zeolite for starting cacti seeds is a great alternative.

What is zeolite?
Zeolite is a ceramic material that is found in many places on earth. It consists of two of the most common compounds: alumina and silica. Zeolite has many properties that make it an interesting material. Depending on the grade, it can be used as a chemical filter, heat battery, kitty litter, aquariam filter for ammonia, and many other applications.

Its structure is very porous which allows it to "hold" water well but allow for good draining. Some people use zeolite in their gardens to help filter out heavy metals (Danny Vitalis recommends this).

For information on using zeolite for cacti seeds, please see:
http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152196

I have not used zeolite in this fashion but I will be doing some experiments over the coming months.

It could be an alternative to perilite and I would like to compare the sustainability of zeolite versus perilite.

Currently, the best places to find pure zeolite are online and at pet stores. In the aquarium isle of a pet store it will be called "ammonia remover" or something of that nature. Zeolite is also the primary constituent of cat litter.

Things to research about zeolite:
Sustainability versus perilite
Pure zeolite kitty litter

!!!!!!Caution: As with perilite, care should be taken to avoid breathing in the dust particles of zeolite.

Happy growing,
Hcc

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:16:25 PM by happyconcafe »

Caium

• Trading Score: +59
  • "Happiness' only real when shared."
Re: Zeolite as Soil Medium, Perilite Replacement, Starting Cacti Seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »

Good option, I was just considering alternatives to perlite and coarse sand. I'm about to try a trich and loph germination. I ended up using perlite for now, because of the contrast with the seeds, let's see how it goes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:25:30 PM by odara »

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »

Any purely mineral option will not last very long for the seedlings (as in you'll have to transplant them soon after or start fertilizing)  But they still work pretty good.  I find that seedlings grow best when you add some organic content to the soil.
Cactus = Life

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:26:15 PM »

ThereĀ“s a buzz about zeonite increasing the growth rate of the cactus..

Is anyone using it as grow medium with positive results?
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.