Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Symbiotic Plant Guilds  (Read 3241 times)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Symbiotic Plant Guilds
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »

A guild is a permaculture term used to denote groups of specific species of plants (and/or other living systems) that have the potential to mutualistically help one another thrive. Guilds in nature (albeit very large and intricate guilds) are systems such as forests, grasslands, and oceans. Each function depends on the next in a given system to harmonize and live in symbiosis.

Of course, humans can design and develop guilds as well, although humans would be wise to observe and learn from natures teachings of symbiosis.

A rather well known guild in the permaculture world would be the Three Sisters. Supposedly, the native americans invented (or rather observed and connected the dots ) the three sisters guild. This guild consists of three plant functions, each depending on the next to independently work as a human food growing system. These plants are corn, squash, and a climbing legume. The corn grows tall and provides a living-trellis for the climbing legume, which passively fixes nitrogen into the soil for all plants near. The squash, with its huge leafs and prickles, protects the system from things like racoons while also greatly reduces weeds.

I plan on doing this in my kitchen garden this season. Id also like to try something similar with jerusalem artichoke, groundnut, and a perennial winter squash; all of which are native to my area (the squash will be close to native to my area), and will be a great live emergency source of starch and protein throughout the year!

Anyways, i will be posting other guilds i find (or think of!) and sharing with you guys.

Can YOU think of a functioning guild???
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:43:25 PM by PermieGing »
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton