Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mimosas have memories too [Article]  (Read 5703 times)

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
Mimosas have memories too [Article]
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:23:21 PM »

http://www.news.uwa.edu.au/201401156399/research/move-over-elephants-mimosas-have-memories-too

Dr Gagliano and her team show that Mimosa pudica plants can learn and remember just as well as it would be expected of animals, but of course, they do it all without a brain. Using the same experimental framework normally applied to test learnt behavioral responses and trade-offs in animals, they designed their experiments as if Mimosa was indeed an animal.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Mimosas have memories too [Article]
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »

Wow, this is amazing. 

And we think we know everything about plants. Hehe.

Thanks for sharing.
Cactus = Life

Caium

• Trading Score: +59
  • "Happiness' only real when shared."
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »

Very interesting isaak!

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »

I always found it extremely interesting how they seem to learn when lights turn on/off. On a couple occasions I left my lights on for a 48 hour stretch and they still opened and closed around the normal times the light would switch on/off.  Also how they adjust to a new cycle within a couple days if I flip the schedule around on them.

Fascinating stuff:)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:41:56 PM »

I noticed that  as well. Even though I use artificial lighting and it doesn't fade in and out like the sun would they start to close about an hour before the lights turn off and open about an hour before they turn on. They adjust whenever i change the timings. 

Pretty amazing stuff. How do they store these memories? This completely changes how I view what makes a living thing conscious.
Cactus = Life

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »

To shamanism this is not a novelty.
For example, shamans like to use old grow Caapi to prepare ayahuasca, even though old Caapi is less strength then a 10 year old one (10 year old is said to be the maximum strength). It is because a very old Caapi have more knowledge…it is like an Elder.
But this evidenced in an occidental scientific paper is amazing.
We are trained to only believe in occidental science…and this is corroborating traditional knowledge.

SummertimeLoving

• I prefer to grow medicinal plants
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »

This is amazing!

It's nuts how much we think we know about plants, but how little humans honestly know about them. We are learning new things about plants, and everything else for that matter, every day, when we think that we have learned all there is to learn.

muze801

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • USDA Zone: 5-7b
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »

I also noticed how quickly my pudica adjusted to the sun from a window after first bringing her home from the nursery, and then to a cfl that I'd leave on after sunset, and now she's about as accurate as my timer!

She also no longer reacts much to a pinch on the end of a petiole (which I did a lot at first) but move a whole leaves if touched with a stroking motion.

Adam

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 04:47:31 AM »

The paper in the article, and another paper by the same author.

It is interesting work, I would like to see more elucidation for a mechanism for this "learning".  Also I think it might be misleading to anthropomorphize plants. Although they may learn and be conscious even, I think it might be misleading to view it in the same way as animal learning or consciousness.

The second article by the same article is about plant bio- acoustics  and has a little section on this in regards to shamanism.