Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello from Hampshire College!  (Read 4953 times)

HampsterPlanter

Hello from Hampshire College!
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:39:12 AM »

Hey everyone,

I am an undergraduate student at Hampshire College in Amherst , MA.  I love plants, as well as clinical psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Sociology, and Antropology. I have a thirst for knowledge for both of these subject areas and i have since discovered numerous connections and relationships which continue to defy my expectations time and time again.  I have a close interest in the clinical application of botanical and alternative medicine as well as assisted psychotherapy.  I took an introductory course on ethnobotany and have taken a couple general horticulture classes in high school and take pleasure in discovering ways that allow me to  almost seamlessly integrate all of my passions in order to produce increasingly positive results and continued progress.  Recently i have been focusing on research guided by an organization called the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Substances (MAPS) which involves intense review of a multitude of primary research articles examining the pyschopharmacology of various botanicals and chemical substances.  Ive been getting sort of stir crazy and decided to take my studies of plants back to the roots, if you can tolerate some lazy word play. 

Anyways,  I am excited to have learned of the existence of this community and hope i can absorb as much knowledge as possible. (and  possibly maybe down the road, teach, if others have questions i think i am knowledgeable enough to answer)

Sidenote : Right now i have some Mezcal beans, and some Syrian Rue seeds.  I intend to compile a personal seed bank of various plants to try and grow in the coming spring and would love if anyone could provide a brief,  semi-comprehensive, sort of list  of "starter plants" that have  generally easier processes and would be (as much as possible) better suited for my climate (Western Mass).

Thanks everybody

HampsterPlanter

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
Re: Hello from Hampshire College!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 03:49:36 AM »

Hey HampsterPlanter,

thanks to you for joining us. You seem to have a quite impressive profile there, the research you're doing with MAPS sounds like the type many of us would do in our free time - if we were qualified enough.

I'm sure some members sharing your hardiness zone (is it 5a?) can give you suggestions, although that looks chilly. There's a thread with user reports you might find useful - Temperatures and Plants. How low can it go?

Looking forward to see you in the forums.

Welcome to STS,

Mandrake

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »

Hello HampsterPlanter, and welcome to ShareTheSeeds.

thanks for joining us.  :)

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »

G'day HampsterPlanter!
Pleased to meet you,
I have to admit 90% of what you said there went straight over my head, but very cool to see a new member nonetheless.
If you see anything on my lists you like the look of be sure to let me know.
Sounds like your gonna be quite handy round here, especially with the more tech side of things!
Have a rocking day!!!
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »

provide a brief,  semi-comprehensive, sort of list  of "starter plants" that have  generally easier processes and would be (as much as possible) better suited for my climate (Western Mass)

Salvia divinorum(grows relatively quickly, wont survive winter), acacia sp.(some sp are cold hardy enough to survive winter), passionflower sp.(most will survive winter), lions tail(annual), lions ear(annual), tobacco(annual), morning glory spp.(annual)

I am around the same latitude as you. A lot of ethnogens will not survive in the climate we are in. Most require zone 7-8 at the least to overwinter. There is a thread where some of us members have been testing the cold tolerances of common ethnogens. I'll see if I can get a link for you.

Be careful with mezcal beans. There is a reason native Americans replaced them with peyote as their drug of choice ;)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »

Hello hampsterplants!

You sound like you will be a great addition to this wonderful community :)

Just a few species off the top of my head that would likely do well in MA (zone would be helpful) are passiflora incarnata and albizzia julibrissin, as they are native to your general area (actually id say a bit more south, but maybe also a bit more north, as well!)

Hope to see you around, enjoy your stay
 8)
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

HampsterPlanter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 02:06:53 AM »

provide a brief,  semi-comprehensive, sort of list  of "starter plants" that have  generally easier processes and would be (as much as possible) better suited for my climate (Western Mass)

Salvia divinorum(grows relatively quickly, wont survive winter), acacia sp.(some sp are cold hardy enough to survive winter), passionflower sp.(most will survive winter), lions tail(annual), lions ear(annual), tobacco(annual), morning glory spp.(annual)

I am around the same latitude as you. A lot of ethnogens will not survive in the climate we are in. Most require zone 7-8 at the least to overwinter. There is a thread where some of us members have been testing the cold tolerances of common ethnogens. I'll see if I can get a link for you.

Be careful with mezcal beans. There is a reason native Americans replaced them with peyote as their drug of choice ;)

Thank you for the information on some different types of plants to grow in my area and i would love to try to grow all of them.  I received your private message and would love to contact you but i am still restricted in my ability to respond to private messages.  However, my email is wwm13@hampshire.edu and you can reach me through that.  I don't have Skype but I'm going to download it soon. 

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 12:54:18 PM »

I received your private message and would love to contact you but i am still restricted in my ability to respond to private messages.

Not anymore.

Kind regards,

Mandrake

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to sharing!

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »

Hola and welcome to a great place! :)