Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need help starting  (Read 3899 times)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Need help starting
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »

I live in in eastern US (New Jersey), I do not know the lingo yet but I googled my area and I am in

a zone 6a.  I really want to grow some magical plants that would grow and thrive in my area

and am hoping to get some input.  I have been reading around this forum and it sounds as if

I will need to buy lamps and other equipment, but was wondering if I could just start a very small

and humble indoor garden for now until it starts to get warm outside again, I really do not have a

big area to work with (3ft x 4ft area) or a big budget (4 kids & 3 dogs).  So I was wondering if I am deluding

myself and my dreams of growing are just dreams.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Re: Need help starting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »

Many species native to colder climates must be stratified. This practically means that the seed must be in soil and must have imbibed water, then it must go through the cold temps of winter before it will germinate, and start growing.

Some acacias must do this, and passifloras.

My point being with certain species you may get, you could plant them outdoors before winter and leave em out so they can start growing in spring.
Some people put seeds that must be stratified in the fridge for a bit.

Either way..

Anyways, i have some wild passiflora incarnata seeds id be happy to share!
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »

Oh wow that would be great thanks.  I would love some!!

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:04:32 PM »

You're pretty close to me. I think I have a few species I can hook you up with. I also have a flouro fixture with lights I can give you. It is a 2 light 2 ft 40 watt setup. Nothing fancy but it will get the job done if you're in a pinch. Only problem is that it might cost more to ship than its actually worth. Its big enough to cover a 1ft x 1.5ft area.

You can grow some bonzai ethnogens just for the experience. A few that come to mind are sinicuichi, psychotria viridis, and salvia. The former grow pretty slow so they won't need much room at least for the first year or two.

Welcome to STS. You'll find out quick that we're a warm hearted bunch who take care of their own. :)

P.S.
Pm me your info and we'll see what we can't do about getting you a garden set up.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:22:03 AM »

Howdy,

If you send me a PM with some info, I'll send you a little kit.

Also, for lights, "dome" fixtures from Home Depot ($7-$8) and 99 cent flouros (the whiter the light, the better) work well for starting out.

Picture: Dome Light
 :D
Hcc

Khaedin

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 03:31:09 AM »

The dome lights the previous poster mentioned work excellent for Cfl bulbs only. Do not put a HID bulb in a spot light, whatever is in the down cast will burn, guaranteed. They work well for Cfls because they're not point source, HID lights are point source.