Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Kratom salt tolerance  (Read 5869 times)

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Kratom salt tolerance
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:15:30 AM »

I was wondering if kratom would be able to tolerate high salinity growing conditions (AKA salty water). I was considering planting a few trees in some marshy mangrove swamps (home to some of the most fertile and saltiest soil known to man) but was curious to know how well they tolerate salty and/or brackish water. My home gets its water from a cistern in the Keys and, due to the high water needs of kratom, the only way to effectively hydrate it would be to keep it in a naturally wet environment.

Thanks,
-Mangrove
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
Re: Kratom salt tolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:01:21 AM »

Nothing likes salt except mangroves, Palm trees don't even drink it. Salt=bad.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:37 AM »

Not exactly, not all plants wont stand or even like salt. But: In case of kratom absolutely right, consider its place of origin and you'll see: It neither had the chance nor a motivation to adapt to salty conditions, as it never met any salt in its later history of evolution.
Praise is mandatory.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »

I have never seen them growing in brackish water here. I do see them growing on the edge of the beach in coconut groves sometimes. With the flooding history of the mainland area where kratom comes from I am sure they are subjected to brackish water sometimes but not for long periods.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »

I suppose I should correct myself. Plants can be salt tolerant, but very few can digest it internally. If they do have a more tolerant mechanism for separating out the salts it takes much more energy to do so.

Plants are amazingly adaptive. I accidentally dumped a bunch of sand with salt in it on my garden last fall. I saw no effect this year. Maybie perhaps most was washed out. In any case I would love to see your guerilla planting take flight.  :D
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 04:22:50 PM »

I wrote my name with salt on the school court, every year. Its still visible. So maybe it was too little salt in your sand.
Praise is mandatory.