Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hunting for the perfect seed stater mix  (Read 5834 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Hunting for the perfect seed stater mix
« on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »

First off what do y'all use with good results?

I've been looking and looking. Every time I mix a new soil its usual worse or no better than my go to mix. This mix is screened rich but sandy potting mix with extra perlite. Sometimes vermiculite if I have it too. Works the best so far but is dense as hell and really isn't much good but its better than the rest.

What about coir mixed with worm castings...any thoughts?
Saw that in an organic forum recently but other sources says coir totally sucks through and through. Furthermore though I've heard others say coir mixes are awesome...just don't know myself.

Peat mixes always suck for me. Damping off is a huge issue with peat it seems. Tomatoes and peppers seem to like the plugs though but little else wise.

Haven't tried rock wool either but is it at all worth investigating?

I want vigorous healthy plants with immense roots systems. Can't quite figure it out.

Thanks! Peace
Spreading love!

chamomeleon

• Trading Score: +31
  • I have a fever...... and the only cure is more cacti
Re: Hunting for the perfect seed stater mix
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »

I always put worm castings in mine! 

Honestly, I have had good results from Espoma products, especially the seed starter.  I just add castings and it does just fine!

Personally, I loathe perlite.  I use pumice or rice hulls instead  :)

And remember, it never hurts to have mycorrhizae!
There was a young lass from Madras
Who had a magnificent ass
It was not round and pink
as you might think
But had ears and a tail, and ate grass.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »

Yes I used to use espoma plant tone and it worked well just got tired of buying it.

I'm trying to make my own worm castings but its going rather slow due to not many worms yet.

Bunny poop tea from my rabbit helps a lot but is slow to take action if used in poop form. The tea works great but washes through my sandy soil only a couple days after. I have to water intensely everyday here due to heat etc.

Anyone tried azomite?
Spreading love!

chamomeleon

• Trading Score: +31
  • I have a fever...... and the only cure is more cacti
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »

You can always buy more worms!  What kind of setup do you currently have?

You can add the castings/ juice to your rabbit tea, ore use the rabbit pellets as a slow release and the worm byproducts as tea.  If you had chickens you could use their poop too!  BTW, does bunny poop work well?

There was a young lass from Madras
Who had a magnificent ass
It was not round and pink
as you might think
But had ears and a tail, and ate grass.

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »

Worm castings, spaghnum and pumice.
Water with worm tea
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:51:15 PM »

You can always buy more worms!  What kind of setup do you currently have?

You can add the castings/ juice to your rabbit tea, ore use the rabbit pellets as a slow release and the worm byproducts as tea.  If you had chickens you could use their poop too!  BTW, does bunny poop work well?

So far the bunny tea works well for quick results. The poop seems to work as pellets but takes months to really start rocking good.
Spreading love!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »

Regarding rockwool: As long as its not for the seeds its mold proof. If the seed is big and your rockwool cube small enough it will come with the energy stored to make it through the rockwool cube telling you you should plant it if you havent yet, or make it through to the soil. If the seed is small or your rockwool cube relatively large you must feed it with any kind of nutrients may it be compost tea.

Adding more perlite sand and mineral matter might improve drainage and with it reduce dampening off but require more frequent watering.

I recently had a booklet from a coco cour supplier, they describe all the goods and bad theyve came across when researching coco, one thing is sure: Its a completely new and different media and traditional approaches must not always be right with coco. So being a matter of its own its also an investigation of its own. No se :)
Praise is mandatory.