Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ello ello!  (Read 3527 times)

hummus

• chickpea muncher
Ello ello!
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »

Been around some other sites for quite a while now and thought I'd take a step into STS!
I've been a hobby gardener for quite some years and am steadily building up my collection of open pollinated vegetable species, trees, edible and medicinal herbs and the more obscure esoteric plants.
I've also got a keen interest in mushroom cultivation, forestry and arboriculture, and am on the way to building up a permacultural forest garden.
On another aspect into homebrewing with different plants, currently I have a tilia+artemisia beer going which is ready to bottle soon, can't wait to see how it turns out.
I'd like to think of myself as pretty knowledgeable but then when a friend of mine gets a seed order from martin crawford I just seem to have absolutely no idea so I'm certainly interested in learning more.
Currently have access to a heated greenhouse and propagation equipment so I really want to get started with some things for the following year.
In terms of interesting vegetables I have:
jerusalem artichokes take over everywhere but they make me fart too much! Beautiful flowers though, anybody got any tips? :p
Had a big patch of dill last year, only 7 or 8 plants but now have well over a kilo of seed saved, munching on a wee pinch is good for the above ailments..
Got some interesting varieties of plantain, don't let them self-seed or they'll take over!
Some variety of kale from the outer hebrides that seems to do fine whatever's chucked at it!
Poppies also just came up in my garden and collected a jar full of seed from them, seem to be pretty vigorous and strong.
Herbs:
valerian
tilia cordata (currently got some seeds undergoing cold treatment, hopefully they'll germinate, if not may just buy a few whips from a commercial supplier)
mugwort
wormwood
henbane
salvia officinalis
Mushrooms:
trametes versicolor
pleurotus citrinopileatus

A few things I'm hoping to get soon:
phalaris brachystachys (arundinacea is too plentiful around here to plant in a garden really)
some more mushroom species: chaga, reishi, shitake, etc
some different solanaceae species
some different tryptamine containing plants
different medicinal herbs, got quite a decent whack of knowledge behind me on wild herbs but I'd like to cultivate some more, currently only cultivating chamomile, valerian and yarrow but hoping to get more on the go soon.

Scion stock of large berried crataegus spp.
Some more fruit trees
soft fruit shrubs
Good variety of everything is what I like really, entheogenic plants only really make sense when integrated into natural or semi-natural systems and used in a socially responsible context.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: Ello ello!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »

Hi, and welcome to STS. Looks like you have a good area to grow and a nice garden going already. I look forward to sharing with you.  :)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »

Welcome!
:) :) :)

Zbojnick

• Trading Score: +2
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »

Welcome to STS hummus!

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »

Welcome!

Nice to have another european on this great forum!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »

Welocome to STS hummus!

Always great to have more permaculture minded people join
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton