Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Trichocereus terscheckii, most cold tolerant of the Trichs  (Read 3908 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Trichocereus terscheckii, most cold tolerant of the Trichs
« on: April 22, 2015, 11:25:09 PM »

Hi All,

I just wanted to share a tid-bit of information:

At all the cactus nurseries that I go to, the people always say the same thing, "terscheckii's are the most cold-tolerant of the Trichocereus genus". A few times I've heard, "terscheckii's do better in the cold than the local saguaros" (Carnegiea gigantea). The saguaros see freezing temps at least 3 or 4 times a year and usually just overnight but in rare cases for a couple days.

As far as specific temps and for how long terscheckii's can handle them, I'm not quite sure.

Any and all information on terscheckii cold-tolerance is greatly welcomed.

Regards,
Hcc

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
Re: Trichocereus terscheckii, most cold tolerant of the Trichs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:00:19 AM »

I too would like to hear more information on this. There is a cactus breeder out here trying to find a cold tolerant cactus that can survive outdoors all year here.

solaritea

• Trading Score: +48
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:42:59 AM »

I don't get too bad of frosts here - nights sometimes in the high high 20s with days warming up to 50s+, but I've never had cold damage on any of my terscheckiis. From softball size to 10'. My cuzcoids never get frost damage either.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:35:36 AM »

There is a tersheckii in the ground near Atlanta GA that never gets protected and regularly gets snowed upon in the winter. If I recall it's been there over ten years and keeps growing.

I don't know it's exact USDA zone or precise location for that matter, so take it for what it's worth.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.