Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Budwood grafting / Damiana  (Read 5375 times)

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Budwood grafting / Damiana
« on: June 28, 2016, 04:18:47 AM »

I recently sent a germplasm request to USDA to see if they would send me some Turnera diffusa since this plant is nearly impossible to aquire outside of its natural habitat. Here is the response I got from them:
We have received your request for germplasm as follows: Turnera
We do not distribute live plants, only cuttings (as in budwood), rhizomes (banana, ginger, cycads) and seeds when available. Most of the material requested is distributed as budwood to be grafted on to existing rootstock grown by the recipient.
The State of Florida Department of Plant Industry (DPI) charges $50 for the phytosanitary certificate (DOES NOT APPLY TO FLORIDA RESIDENTS). This is required of all plant material crossing state borders. You need to send us a check made out to DPI (not the USDA) Florida. This cost is the same regardless of the amount of budwood being sent.
I have never grafted anything, and don't want to fork out 50 bucks for something that has little chance of success. But... I do really really want to grow this plant. From what I gather budwood grafting is usually done onto existing stock of the same or compatible species. Has anyone done anything like this? There are a couple other species of Turnera that are commercially available, but I don't know if they would be compatible. Thoughts?
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: Budwood grafting / Damiana
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:26 AM »

Bud wood grafting is a common practice for grafting orange trees. Pretty similar to an aerola graft.
Here's some videos I've watched to learn how to do it.... Gunna try some budwood grafts soon.

Maybe someone from Florida can acquire this for you and such. Idk what you would graft it on though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:39:26 AM by Chicsa »

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »

I graft tropical fruit trees all the time.  It isn't difficult.  You need an appropriate rootstock, favorable time of year (usually Spring), and clean technique.   :)

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:40:20 AM »

My response asking for further info:

Can you confirm whether the requested plant is distributed as an unrooted cutting or as budwood for grafting. As you might be aware, the requested species is not commercially available so grafting stock may be hard to obtain. Although Turnera ulmifolia is readily available (and often sold as diffusa), I am not sure if it would be compatible.

danzick

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »

Hopefully they will know about graft compatibility, but likely they won't.  Unless Turnera diffusa is routinely grafted (which I doubt), you are in uncharted waters.  Trial and error to see what works.  If I were interested in doing this, I would buy seeds of various Turnera and get some rootstocks going.   :)  Will Turnera diffusa root from a cutting?

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 02:01:48 AM »

It is possible according to this publication. One of the authors is the guy at USDA that I have been in contact with.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=258625

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 05:51:13 AM »

According to their accesion page, They ship cuttings  (5)

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1706247

I have dealt with GRIN before on several things, They ship without notice very randomly, often durring off season times for the plant you requested  ( I recieved hop bines in November)

If you order - Be ready

I graft apple and pear scions every year, It's eazy but somewhat of a skill that needs to be devolved, after years I still only get about 7 or 8 out of 10 to take

Maybe someone in a state with less shipping restrictions can help you  ? ?    (can it survive zone 7/8 ? ) 
III%

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 03:49:11 AM »

Good news! They said the plant would be distributed as unrooted cuttings. Guess I'm gonna have to fork out the 50 bucks for cites cert.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:21:32 AM »

At least you can be fairly sure of the genetics
III%

danzick

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »

Hey Psylocke, I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but depending on how fast you want these, maybe I can save you some of that 50 bucks.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »

There are lots of FL members here that may be willing to get a cutting. I'm also sure that we can get a co-op for this plant between a few people because quite a few people are looking for this plant, myself included.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

danzick

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »

What is the limit?  Was it 5 cuttings per request?  How many requests can one person make over what period of time? 

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 01:25:26 AM »

Unfortunately, it's not quite as easy as just putting in a request. They only distribute plants for certain purposes like agricultural or scientific research. You have to put in a proposal that gets reviewed by a committee and they decide if they will let you have it or not. Based on the email they sent, I'm guessing that my proposal was accepted.

I think they are going to send 5 unrooted cuttings. I'm not too worried about the cost at this point. I have been trying to source this plant for years. It seems that it is not available commercially anywhere. Shaman Australis used to have it, but they have been out of stock for a long time and don't ship plants to the US anyway. Hopefully, I can get some of these to root and eventually spread them around to those who are interested.

LIBERTYNY

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 03:10:52 AM »

I have got several things thru the grin, you just have to tell them that you plan on researching a legitimate aspect and sound half profesional about it.
  A few years back anyone how requested tobacco seeds just got them without any story

I have ordered maxim of 4 or 5 accessions all of the same type and ben approved, so im guessing they would not have a problem ordering more than 5 cuttings
III%