Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help my P pulchellum!!  (Read 3309 times)

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
Help my P pulchellum!!
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »

So my beloved Phyllodium pulchellum isn't doing so well.  I'll be devastated if it doesn't make it  :'(

I re-potted maybe a month prior to the problem.  Used jungle growth mix from lowes.  And that may have been what it was in before but I can't remember.  If not, it was still in a similar peaty/barky mix.

These pics are about 2 weeks in.  I have treated with insecticidal soap (only bc it was in my greenhouse which tends to get buggy) twice.  Is this maybe a fungus?  I can't imagine it's a nutrient def bc I've never had a problem with the soil mix.

Hope someone can help and its not too late...

You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: Help my P pulchellum!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »

If you feel like investing I've had Azamax kill some serious fungal and insect issues. I'd soil drench it heavy if you decide to.
Spreading love!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:42:25 PM »

Those spots. My first guess would be sucking critters and necrosis following up. Maybe have a very close look especially on the undersides if you find anything that is not welcome, if you dont, get a magnifying glass and repeat. Also check thruroughly around nodes.

Odds are higher that critters become a serious issue on plants that are weak already, malnutrition, rootrot and so on cam contribute to making them vulnerable.

Remember: Mites =/= insects -> products advertised to help with insects might not help with mites, only chances are that they do.

A mild way that can be tried on critters is a blend of chrysanthemum extract and rapeseed oil. A drop of dishwashing soap helps distribution. Some plants can not deal with any oil, but rapeseed oil is considered mostly safe and effective.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:52:33 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

cunningplatypus

• Trading Score: +317
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »

Soulgrower,

Maybe not much consolation, but my P. puchellum is going through a similar ordeal. Yellowing, drying leaves which eventually fall off. Eesh.  :P However, new leaves seem to be growing in their place, and these don't seem to be affected. Are you getting new growth?

At first I suspected mites (always my first assumption with any downward-spiraling plant) but nothing else seems to be suffering and I can't find any mites or sign.

My plant is also in a greenhouse and exposed to natural light, so maybe there are some hereon unforeseen dormancy issues, brought on by changing, seasonal light cycles? I've also thought it might be due to increased humidity (greenhouse window and doors solidly shut for winter), a change in location and available light (competing with the rest of the crammed greenhouse jungle), or overwatering.

Personally I've cut way back on my watering, and I'm keeping my grubby fingers crossed that my plant recovers fully.

Sorry not to be more help, but I'm hoping it's just a seasonal thing! Please let us know if you find a solution or explanation.   :)   

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I haven't noticed any bugs but this morning I did notice a single fine glimmer of a thread hanging from a leaf.  So perhaps it is indeed mites..  I have a pocket microscope on the way that should be useful.  I certainly don't see any bugs with my aging eyes.

A couple of nodes have teeny, tiny leaf buds.  And there is new growth at the top of the plant but it is a bit stunted.  Fortunately, the new growth looks healthy.  Unfortunately, I don't see new growth where leaves have already fallen off.

The seasonal change probably isn't helping either.  We've had much drier weather and things have cooled down dramatically. 

I looked into Azamax and think I may give it a try.  I also think I'll give it a try this winter for my greenhouse.  I really struggled with pests on all the tropicals I overwintered in my gh last year.
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:05:02 AM »

I have noticed they don't do well with any environmental change. I moved mine so that they got an hour of mid day sun, all the older leaves started to yellow and fall off. After a couple months they recovered and are doing fine now. I have never had a problem with aphids on mine but mealy bugs can be a pain when they flower.

nobody
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:05:24 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.