Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: My young S. Divinorum is surprisingly motile. Anyone else have this experience?  (Read 2717 times)

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist

This plant seems to be the most mobile plant I'm growing, even more than the flytrap!!
Yesterday morning I went out to check on her and her leaves were all perky and sticking straight out. Shes grown to be about a foot tall by now, and her stem still feels stiff and erect, but I've been worried I might check on her one morning and she'd be slumped over. So i decided to stake her up.
I tied her very loosely to a wooden dowel with a cloth shoelace. When i say loosely i mean VERY loosely. I didn't want to damage the stem. I made sure the dowel wasn't pressing against any nodes. I then watered her with some rainwater of collected and went back inside.

A few hours later I come back outside and one of her topmost large leaves is sticking straight up. literally at like a ninety degree angle. The positions of the other leaves are unchanged. Im very puzzled by this and i thought maybe she was protesting being staked up so i untie the shoelace and let her go back to the way she was. She didn't drop her leaf back down for the Rest of the day.
I haven't checked her yet today because i had to leave my house in a hurry early this morning but has anyone else noticed how mobile these plants are?? There have been other instances where both myself and my husband have tried to play music for her, and over the spam of a few minutes you could tell which songs she liked and which ones she disliked by the way she was leaning.

Lol I hope I dont sound crazy, but what an amazing plant!
Ill try to get a pic if she's still doing the leaf thing when I get home.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:10:10 PM by Skink »
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.

Yes you right: sally is a amazing plant!

By your description it seems to me that is lack of water associated with excess temperature / direct sunlight.

Sally loves water and a moist environment...not be afraid to sprinkle with intensity!

Good luck!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist

Ahh maybe water was the issue. Since then ive untied her from the stake and kept the soil moist and the leaf seems to have lowered a bit. Although today I checked up on her and there were two mushrooms in her pot! It was very surprising.
I dont think Sun or heat were a factor because Ive been taking car to keep her on my covered back porch where she may only get dappled sunlight throughout the day, if any. And it hasn't really gotten over 32°c here although it has been rather humid.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...