Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Why does my kratom grow so slowly?  (Read 4266 times)

HulGil

• Mad Monk
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
  • Freelancer & monastic poet. Scholar-psychoanalyst.
Why does my kratom grow so slowly?
« on: February 16, 2016, 03:18:52 AM »

I have it on a heating pad and under lights, but it doesn't seem to want to grow. Even when I water it once a day it only puts out one set of leaves every month. Maybe the issue is that I'm not fertilizing it... Perhaps I answered my own question. What do you guys think? Does kratom require lots of fertilizer?
All men are born mad. Some remain so. (Beckett, Waiting for Godot)

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
Re: Why does my kratom grow so slowly?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »

Feed that fella once a week. Mine went crazy when I started this regimen. Watch for pests too. I found many with a preference for the fast growing tissue, after rapid growth was observed.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »

Kratom love real sun, too. I know it's seasonal, but it will grow faster once you can acclimate it outside in the Spring.

TigerBeard

• "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:31:39 AM »

Post some pictures of it, depending on size and season/growing conditions watering once a day might be overkill unless it is like a 6-8ft tree in a large pot and its sucking water like crazy during summer. other then that water it like once a week or when you start to see the top of the soil get a little lighter. also fertilize once a month unless it is a large tree like mentioned before then you could be good with once a week. also check the ph of your water, odds are if you are using tap water your ph is way too high and you need to add a ph down solution to it to drop the ph to around 6.0. tap water is between 7-8 usually which could not only stunt growth but ultimately kill it
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit"

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »

I always use city water on all my plants and the pH almost always runs above 8, but with low carbonate hardness. Never killed anything with it. Doesn't stunt growth either IME. Messing with pH adjusters seems an unnecessary complication with potted plants because the soil provides a fair amount of buffering capacity. If you're doing hydroponics then by all means pay attention to pH, but for the garden variety garden I wouldn't worry about it.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

TigerBeard

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:06 PM »

lucky you! our city water in california keeps mine from growing at all and could have possibly lead to the death of one, but then again it could have a decent amount of calcium carbonate in there not sure what other heavy metals all that i was able to pick up was that the ph was around 8. i stuck with distilled water and added 2 drops of ph down to each gallon and the plants love it. but one thing i will try is to fill those gallon bottles up with sink water and let it sit over night, add the ph down to it and try from there, if i get the same results as found with the adjusted distilled water then i will start using the sink water. it will save a ton of money in the long run!

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »

What part of CA? I thought the whole state was supplied by snowmelt from the Sierras. When I lived in the Bay Area the water there was excellent.

Come to think of it LA gets some from the Colorado River, yes?
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

TigerBeard

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 06:52:51 AM »

Yes we are supplied a lot of the Colorado river that is routed in through the aqueduct. I wish we had water in the sierras haha. But yes LA gets the CO water. Im sure the entire state must have certain mandated regulations when it comes to purification but I wonder if different cities or different counties for that matter have any differences. All I know is that mine did not fair well with using regular tap water. but there were also other factors that played into the lack of growth and the eventual death of one of my plants. who knows, maybe it really has very little impact but i tend to err on the side of caution making sure my ph is around 6 because if my water ph is 6 then odds are my soil will be somewhere within a similar range rather then putting ph 8 water in the soil and having my plant living in a higher alkaline environment prohibiting nutrient uptake. just food for thought tho, if you have success with it then i tell people go with what you know and if it works then dont go out trying to try something new, unless you have a ton of plants and you just want to run tests  xD