Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Idea for a business that I'd like to share  (Read 5703 times)

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
Idea for a business that I'd like to share
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »

There's this awesome building in town that used to be a florist. It's got an attached greenhouse with a water feature, an apartment upstairs, and a storefront and kitchen areas on the main floor. I've had this idea I've been kicking around for a sort of natural pharmacy which grows the plants onsite(for freshness and potency). I'd want to have the medicinal parts of the plants in glass jars, with papers on all research and traditional use information on the plant, so that people can decide for themselves if they think it'll work. Maybe a large board with common ailments on it, and a listing of all the plants I have that might help. I'm also planning on making tinctures, and having a few general purpose herb blends; Like immune support(Cranberry Hibiscus, Sage, etc), general pain relief(Willow is the only one I can think of off the top of my head), tight muscles(Mint, Viburnum Opulus), etc.
I still need to continue my research to decide what plants to grow, based on purpose and growth speed.
I'm pretty sure the reason herbal medicine sometimes works and other times doesn't is because of low quality herbals in the studies that show "no benefit". Everything is mass produced by people who don't know their plants, who haven't gained a relationship with the plants to know what to harvest and when. It's the reason many of us started growing our ethnobotanicals, low quality dried herbs.

The original idea came because I was growing mushrooms, and I wanted a store with onsite production. Then I got into herbal medicine, my mom started using essential oils,  my girlfriend is anti-pharmaceutical(and this has rubbed off on me the more I do my research), and the idea evolved.
I've got some nootropic plants in mind(Uncaria Tomentosa and Celastrus Paniculatus, if I can source seeds), there are a lot of antibiotic and antiviral plants, we have decongestants in nature, antihistamines, topical pain relief, itch relief, burn relief, nature is ready for all of our problems.
And I want to show people how to tap in. I really like the idea of selling the plants themselves(or their seeds) as well, so people can grow their own. It wouldn't work for everyone, but there would be some people who would like to, and it could be a one-stop-health-shop.
I even had an idea for the name, although it's somewhat corny. The Farmacy.

I planned on the staff(just me to start, lol) picking everything, but I did want people to be able to see the plants they were getting helped by. More of a garden area, to hang out in, maybe a cafe in the corner with something like kombucha and kale smoothies. The storefront would sell freshly harvested medicinal plants from the garden, and anything not bought would go into a dehydrator, and be sold as dry packaged herbs at a discount(after accountign for lost water weight) from the next day forward. That way everything is as potent as possible, and people can be sure they're getting the full benefit.

I shared this idea with another member through PM, and he suggested attempting to get started through GoFundMe or Kickstarter(probably the latter is better for my idea). I have thought of doing so for awhile, but have decided to share my idea with the community first and get your thoughts. If you see things that could cause issues, or have suggestions for what I should make available, let me know. I'm currently doing the research to determine what I should grow(I will start pretty basic, and expand over time), how much starting will cost(building, soil and additives, seeds, dehydrator, electricity, water, etc.), how big of a garden area I'd need, how to maximize yield of each plant, and whether there is a market for my idea in my area.

I had a list of plants I was planning on starting out with, but cannot find the post it note at this time. I will update with my list as soon as I find or recreate it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:19:31 PM by GrowerAndaShower »
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
Re: Idea for a business that I'd like to share
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 11:11:16 PM »

This is what I wanted to start! Good luck and hope the the best!
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 01:16:25 AM »

I really like the idea, and have dreamed of doing something similar. I would probably go with an online store as opposed to a brick and mortar, but sounds like you have a good location. I would definitely suggest consulting with a lawyer who is familiar with this kind of thing. The FDA is very active in attacking companies that sell herbal products claiming that they are effective at treating or curing something. It's total BS considering that most pharmaceutical meds are just alterations of natural molecules, but this is the system we have to deal with. Personally, I avoid synthetic pharmaceuticals as much as possible. I'd much rather take something natural that has been used for hundreds of years rather than big pharma's latest monster creation.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

GrowerAndaShower

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:58:21 AM »

I have lawyers in multiple law fields in the family. I realize there will be a problem if I claim something heals a disease or something. However, I think I can get away with things like "viburnum opulus was traditionally used to relieve cramps during menstruation" rather than saying "relieves cramps" or "Willow bark contains Salicylic acid, from which aspirin(acetylsalicylic acid) is derived. The bark was used in tea form to relieve minor aches and pains and to reduce fevers" instead of "relieves pain and reduces fever"
Make my signs like museum signs, rather than a pharmacy. A museum you can buy the displays from. I can still have a menu, it will just have to read something like "herbs by traditional use" as the heading.

I will definitely consult a lawyer or two before starting it though.thanks for the advice Psylocke!

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 04:47:25 AM »

I think the building/facility you are describing certainly sounds like it has plenty of potential. I have to agree with the others on being a bit more traditional in the manner you are advertising and selling things. I just don't think it is worth it unless you have title as "(insert name of store) ornamental and healing plants' - something of that nature, 'healing' or 'therapeutic' aren't necessarily the same as medicinal but you have to be careful not to have things advertised to cure anything or treat anything, best to just sell live plants I would think but that is just me.

I also have to agree with having it on internet as well would be easier for sales potential, not saying that it would necessarily be a bad idea but I have seen some of the most awesome businesses go under due to a small market. I think having seasonal offerings for at least 1/4-1/3 of your business year-round would keep your bills paid with relative ease. I could offer suggestions for this but it isn't too hard to find some easy flowers to grow each season that you would sell to local repeat customers.

I think that if you were to have the info on specific uses of the plant you are selling, in locations easily seen by the customers such as at the front counter or next to each area with the plant, you would be able to sell them to those who are interested in those properties and I don't see much of an issue explaining things to them. It is basically the same end result if they do the preparation work themselves and should save you any issues.

I am not the expert here, others feel free to elaborate, I see potential in the idea but feel that an indirect approach is the best way to go about selling such plants.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:01:36 AM »

If you were to go to a Renaissance Fair or other 'old world' faire which depicts life back "way back when", there's a good chance that you'll find an Apothecary somewhere on site which does practically the same as you describe. I've been to such a store in a Ren Fair before and the sales person was more than happy to recommend different herbs for varying ailments (such as Feverfew or Skullcap or Slippery Elm or Calendula). Not entirely sure what his credentials are to make him legally able to make recommendations, but it's definitely a possible business capable of thriving!

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 06:42:48 AM »

This is a great idea. I wholeheartedly wish you luck in your endeavors. I also have been seriously considering getting into herbal medicine. You should look in to any classes or programs that may exist and any certifications  that may legitimize your business even further in case you do run in to any issues. In my home city, Baltimore, they have a school of traditional Chinese herbal medicine where you can get certified to become an alternative medical healer of sorts. Mind thats limited to only one cultures use of herbs but still, things like that could certainly help. You should look into whether or not there are any classes or programs like that nearby you.
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »

You're going to piss someone off in this world, might as well do it right.

We've got to stick to our beliefs
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

GrowerAndaShower

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »

There's actually a natural healing school a few hours north of me. I've been considering going, and it's probably a good way to network with other people who may be able to assist me in my endeavor.

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 11:07:35 PM »

There's actually a natural healing school a few hours north of me. I've been considering going, and it's probably a good way to network with other people who may be able to assist me in my endeavor.

That is good to hear, I guess I have been too used to having things over-regulated to death that I forget that there are instances where things aren't always so.

I did however just remember the numerous times I have seen Chinese herbal medicine shops referenced on various forums, I would look into the background behind starting one of those as well.

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 03:04:42 PM »

Do be careful of the FDA. A good loophole to know is that if you have an herbalist on hand who is doing consultations then you can dispense herbs without having to use double-speak.

Processing anything that is for internal consumption in a commercial kitchen will help you legally as well. Look up 'GMP herbs' for more legal nonsense.

I run a little tincture making company myself.  8)
No living organism should be illegal.