Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: fermented homemade hot sauce  (Read 14152 times)

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
Re: fermented homemade hot sauce
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 04:13:46 AM »

sharetheseeds.me/sharethepeps
Thanks just harvested some bernana peps and hellapenos and am trying this method tonight
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 09:12:47 AM »

I wouldn't eat them if they were super hot most likely though. Do you know of any good peppers that are mild, but with great flavor? 
I normally use these bell peppers as I always have buckets of fruit/flesh left over after removing the seeds, and they are a nice mild-medium one.
Bit of a chilli wuss, but I do love the flavours, and after fermentation it is so good! Makes you sweat a bit, but in a good way.
Anyone wants seeds hit me up. I have a couple plants here that I just hacked back from 3meters to 1.5meters, so I saved heaps of seeds.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:49 PM »

That's an interesting looking pepper Fairdinkum! Looks like it lacks some heat but you said it doesn't? I gotta get my peppers under control. Need trimming and fertilizer but I've been lazy recently. Then again I've got so many pepper plants in makes up a good portion of what I have growing! When I first started growing again after a few years in places where I couldn't grow things in mass peppers were the first thing I went for. Once I ended up in this house where I'm not going anywhere anytime soon I had to get my hands deep into the plants I really wanted...hence my growing list lol!
Spreading love!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »

It appears I have previously mistaken the rules and thought food recipes are a no no, now that I realise its a little different I consider posting some of those I have only shared via pm yet. Regarding hot pepper sauce: When I make mine (I'm a pepper addict so that happens on a regular basis) I like to cut the stems but not remove the green "cap". I would advise trying so, it sure wont hurt but make a significant change to the flavour wich really is worth trying. Regarding the water layer, if I'm not mistaking here we want some lactobacillus, but no yeast or anything else in it, I find a convenient way to start the process is to simply use the excess water of any similar process started recently, may it be sauerkraut, yoghurt, kimchi, the last batch of pepper sauce, anything goes.

Now I'm hungry :D
Praise is mandatory.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »

And the finished product from batch one!
Spreading love!

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »

...if I'm not mistaking here we want some lactobacillus, but no yeast or anything else in it, I find a convenient way to start the process is to simply use the excess water of any similar process started recently...
I've done the same to start ferments.
I was pondering on a similar line tho. Live culture sauces will only last a few months in the fridge, particularly if little or no vinegar is added. Perhaps one could keep a quart on hand in the fridge with the rest frozen or canned in like 4/5th quart batches. Then when the jar in use is down to 1/5th full just add it to a canned or previously frozen quantity to rejuvenate the sauce.
Anybody tried something like that? I'm planning to grow a metric fuck-ton of chillies next year and would want sauce to hold over to the following summer.

bluespottedfrog

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +20
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19:41 AM »

so, its been a bit over a month, and its looking colourful...   started with white habanero, added salt,  think i read somewhere to add yogurt water, so i tossed in a bit of that.  and behold, the beauty.  but for real, is it safe to proceed and add vinegar, or should i toss it...?
the devil made me do it...  it was so much fun

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »

...if I'm not mistaking here we want some lactobacillus, but no yeast or anything else in it, I find a convenient way to start the process is to simply use the excess water of any similar process started recently...
I've done the same to start ferments.
I was pondering on a similar line tho. Live culture sauces will only last a few months in the fridge, particularly if little or no vinegar is added. Perhaps one could keep a quart on hand in the fridge with the rest frozen or canned in like 4/5th quart batches. Then when the jar in use is down to 1/5th full just add it to a canned or previously frozen quantity to rejuvenate the sauce.
Anybody tried something like that? I'm planning to grow a metric fuck-ton of chillies next year and would want sauce to hold over to the following summer.

My preffered method of conservation is keeping all jars I get to lay my hands on, and usually in fall they all fill up. Of course you can ferment a sauce (or just puree) and then kompletely kill it by cooking it, filling it in jars and bottles that have been cooked (submerged in the boiling water) then you want to cook the full closed jar, raise it out of the pot and unscrew the lis for a split second just to release pressure, tighten the lid and submerge it in boiling water again. Then simply let it cool down slowly (dont force it to cool it will crack.
I assume you are familiar with this process and if you look at it: The lactobacillus does its job, then it and all other life is killed by cooking and the sauce then is stored sterile in individual jars. If you open one it will propably be still fine by the time you empty it and get to the next jar. This is because you of course choose the jar size acordingly to your hot sauce habbits and also because the content gets only contaminated a little each time when you use some and it resists contamination well anyway because of the lactobacillus' work (even tho its been dead since a long time ^^ )

I really hope I didnt miss the question or pointed out the obvious in a insulting way :) have fun cooking
Praise is mandatory.

bluespottedfrog

• Trader
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »

highly offended, your so mean bubble...     ;)
but honestly, thanks.  ill give it a good cooking then add some vinegar tonight.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »

Bubble, I am familiar with canning ;D
The whole point was live culture, the canning would be equivalent to freezing but to revive the live culture a starter would still have to be added when its opened.

Blue, your sauce looks like vanilla icecream, is that mold?

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 10:24:33 PM »

Blue, your sauce looks like vanilla icecream, is that mold?

That's what I was thinking.  I would never put that anywhere near my mouth. Lol.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 11:06:32 PM »

I thought the same thing until I went back and read that he used white habaneros.

bluespottedfrog

• Trader
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 07:38:11 AM »

yeah buddy, white peppers.  didnt smell to bad, but it was two layers...  the almost doughy off white on top, and then a second layer where the peppers and seeds where almost the same as the day i put them in the jar.  anywho, tossed in a pot and boiled it up for about 15 min (my roomies where not happy with me), added equal part vinegar.  gonna let it chill for a week, then ill strain and store, fry me up some chicken.   ;)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »

Can someone tell me why I would want to revive my culture after fermentation is finished ? :/ I cant seem to get my head around it, I guess the taste is the same, I cant see a future change to happen in the sauce and I bet all store bought sauce like Tabasco is dead too ?
Praise is mandatory.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »

Can someone tell me why I would want to revive my culture after fermentation is finished ? :/ I cant seem to get my head around it, I guess the taste is the same, I cant see a future change to happen in the sauce and I bet all store bought sauce like Tabasco is dead too ?

Store bought stuff is certainly dead. I don't figure it really matters if its alive or dead taste wise. If it were live after fermenting then it would be probiotic. Which is never bad unless its the wrong bacterial cultures that formed.
Spreading love!
Pages: 1 [2] 3