Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: fermented homemade hot sauce  (Read 14127 times)

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
fermented homemade hot sauce
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »

I had way too many peppers at once and had plenty more than enough saved seed so I decided to make hot sauce! Not having enough of any one variety I decided to make it a mixed batch. There are Thai hot chili, tobasco, habanero, jalapeƱo, and cayenne peppers in my first batch. Its pretty well done now just letting it sit a little longer before straining the pulp out.

The process is as follows:

1. Take a lot of peppers and cut off tops. Doesn't matter really how many as the recipe can adjust to whatever size.
2. Blend into  paste seeds and all.
3. Add 1-1.5 tsp salt for each cup of pepper mash.
4. Blend to mix salt uniformly.
5. Place mixture into large glass jar and cover with a clean cloth or coffee filter and rubber band it down just to keep dust out and so it can breath.
6. Ferment up to and over a month. Really as long as you feel it needs to ferment good.
7. After first ferment add distilled white vinegar to taste. Allow to sit another week or two or longer to allow flavor to blend.
8. Filter pepper mash through cheese cloth or something similar and use!

Tips:

1. The peppers are supposed to have enough water in them to have the salt pull a layer of water up to the surface covering the mash ideally. This is to prevent mold to form on the surface. There are a few things to attempt to correct the issue if this doesn't naturally occur. Add salted water to the top of pepper mash every two days until the mash becomes liquidy enough and/or turning the top of the mash into the center every two days. This should prevent mold on top during the long first ferment.
Another possible solution is to add a slight bit of extra water in the blender when you first grind the peppers to give it a higher water content before the salt is added and blended into the mash.
2. If bubbles occur inside the mash along the glass tap to make them release upward.
3. Wear gloves or possibly get flaming hands!

Here's a pic of batch one. Its done basically as soon as I strain it and smells fantastic!

Spreading love!

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
Re: fermented homemade hot sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 11:16:54 PM »

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing!
Do you have any recipes for Bar B Q Sauce or Buffalo Sauce? I am dying to make home made sauces from homegrown ingredients! (or mostly of lol)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:23:53 PM »

well done! :D   in my country instead the vinegar we use olive oil and whisky..power!  :o
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »

Buffalo sauce is basically hot sauce mixed with a lot of butter. That's why its so mindblowingly badass! Used to making it in a restaurant I worked for.

Haven't yet messed with BBQ sauce but its been on the mind.

I do however make homemade ketchup that is honey based!

Glad you like the sauce recipe!
Spreading love!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:38:48 PM »

Here is a pic of batch two started today!

It contains tobasco, habanero, Thai hot, a few bell peppers and Italian sweets just for space and experiment, and six ghost chilis.

Spreading love!

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »

Oh dude, I make this stuff all the time, exactly the same way.
It is AWESOME, and it goes great with everything!!!
I recommend everyone try it out.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

BigHeart

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »

Nice, I'm going to be trying this, since I have around 40 pepper plants growing right now I will have tons of peppers in a few weeks.  I wonder how it would taste if I make some with like 2 of every pepper I have growing? 

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »

I recently did almost the same thing. Only difference is at the end I also added 1/4 of a pineapple and about 1/2 a banana, blended that up, then added a few cinnamon sticks in the jar. Just tried it out yesterday after letting it sit for a week. It was delicious.

I've also been thinking about adding lemon or lime juice instead of vinegar then maybe blending up an orange in there.

We should start trading hot sauces too
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:38:12 AM by Greentoe »

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:49:17 AM »

Those are some pretty intriguing ideas man. May have to do some experiments myself!
Spreading love!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 06:00:18 AM »

Sounds extremely spicy.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I was thinking of growing some peppers next year just to try it out.  I wouldn't eat them if they were super hot most likely though. Do you know of any good peppers that are mild, but with great flavor? 

Thanks!!
New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:28:27 AM »

I'll recommend cherry peppers, like the Ichiban eggplant they are one of those thing that once grown and brought into the house, everyone loved and they are sure to be staples, ill have seeds next fall god willing.

I can seriously see this recipe with mild peppers, think of the flavor for humus.  Thanks MP, ill have to share some homemade peanut butter recipes soon...
-Ian

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »

Sounds extremely spicy.  Thanks so much for sharing.  I was thinking of growing some peppers next year just to try it out.  I wouldn't eat them if they were super hot most likely though. Do you know of any good peppers that are mild, but with great flavor? 

Thanks!!
New Wisdom

If you can handle Louisiana brand sauce than tobasco peppers should be your thing. Great flavor low spice!
Spreading love!

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »

I'll recommend cherry peppers, like the Ichiban eggplant they are one of those thing that once grown and brought into the house, everyone loved and they are sure to be staples, ill have seeds next fall god willing.

I can seriously see this recipe with mild peppers, think of the flavor for humus.  Thanks MP, ill have to share some homemade peanut butter recipes soon...
-Ian

Definitely put up your peanut butter recipe! I have thought about trying it before. Was thinking that it would probably take an awful lot of peanuts to make much. Wanted to actually grow the peanuts I'd use but space for that many plants can't be accomplished.
Spreading love!

bluespottedfrog

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +20
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »

you said to add vinegar to flavor...  being im gonna make my first try soon, what would be a recommended ratio?

;D
the devil made me do it...  it was so much fun

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »

Well we started with 1/4 cup of vinegar and stirred. Tasted it and it was good but we like vinegar! So we added tasting here and there until 3/4 cup of vinegar was used and it was at the flavor we like. Was good all the way through though at various amounts of vinegar.
Spreading love!
Pages: [1] 2 3