Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: When do you transplant cacti seedlings?  (Read 7764 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
When do you transplant cacti seedlings?
« on: January 01, 2014, 02:50:50 AM »

Hi all,

I'm curious, how do you decide when to transplant cacti seedlings to their own pots?

And how do you do it without damaging the little ones?

What soil mix do you suggest using after for the transplant?

Thank ya,
Hcc

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: When do you transplant cacti seedlings?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:50:17 AM »

I usually transplant after 4-5 months. Depending on the seedlings.  I let the sand dry out and then i just pull them out. Then place into their new homes (with dry soil there) and let them sit for 2 weeks then water. 

It is all very dependent on the species when it comes to the time and soil though. I will transplant into the mix i use for that species with adults though. I usually sieve it up a little finer than usual though.
Cactus = Life

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »

How do we know  the seedlings are ready to be expose to full- sun?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:45:02 PM by Roze »
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 05:42:21 PM »

How do we know that the seedlings are ready to be expose to full- sun?

If they Green start increasing he amount of sunlight they get. From low light to full sun you will burn and kill most. I start increasing light at 5-6 months and remove from humidity at 3-4 month. Both  have a slow down in growth but they both acclimated in a few weeks and grow stronger and thicker.  Red or a light purple color is fine but a dark purple or brown is too much light increase at once.

I tend to transplant after about a year but sometimes do it at only a 2+ months if low germination and large container. I squeeze the pot to loosen the soil and just pick them and plant in new pot. Soil mix is very light usually 50/50 soil/perlite. I start in the same soil as adult cacti. Even large pumice is not an issue due to high humidity the roots grow just fine.

I've noticed that some commercial growers use 100% pumice/granite/DG soil resulting in lots very thin feeder roots. Strong growth even in small containers.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...