Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Farmbot: Automated gardening  (Read 3922 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Farmbot: Automated gardening
« on: July 17, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Farmbot: Automated gardening
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 01:42:42 AM »

Saw this once. I know I tend to be supercritical, nice work, nice idea. Then again, its just a basic gantry CNC machine with custom software and very limited use, if you ask me. It|s too much of a machine and too much cost for too little growing area, doing tasks that can be automated easier and cheaper on way larger scales. I can give the software a try on my largest gantry one day tho. I feel like a hydro or irrigation system with nutrient dosing can already take care of most of the tasks on a scale this small, with less room for error and less cost.

If I was to make a suggestion: The precision of this gantry is way too high, one can sacrifice if for the benefit or longer and cheaper ways or simply develop a bot that has no machine ways but different positioning means (magnetic band or laser ranging on smaller scale GPS (as most big farms use) on larger scale. I'd be interested if one could employ cheap PVC tubing as very long machine guides and a bot that runs along, electric lines and tubing might have to be dragged if they cant be integrated into the PVC rails. I wish I had time for everything in my mind :D
Praise is mandatory.

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
Re: Farmbot: Automated gardening
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 10:26:31 AM »

Quote from: BC
its getting old
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:23:56 AM by BubbleCat »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax