Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best way to store your seeds  (Read 16002 times)

Z

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +3
Best way to store your seeds
« on: June 29, 2013, 07:58:04 PM »

Hey guys and gals, i felt this was a good section to post this and iv not seem any talk about this subjec on sts that i can recal. So I was thinking the other day that we really need a sticky for new comers and even some people currently apart of sts that talks about best method for storing seeds. So I'd like you all to post up your method of choice to store seeds, and why.

Ok well I start with the method I use. So first off I obviously store the seeds in labeled bags, I then Put those bags into a glass jar that creates a good seal, I then proceed to Place that jar in the refrigerator.

Now the reason behind the glass jar is to keep any and all moisture out. Moisture is a viability killer for seeds!!! The jar also keeps the seeds from getting condensation on them when removing them from the fridge, also I let the jar reach room temp before opening it as to not let any water condense on the seed bags. And obviously the refrigerator is used to slow the loss of viability of the seed (DO NOT FREEZE ) 

Thanks
-Z

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Best way to store your seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »

I store all my seeds in paper envelopes labeled with the latin name and a id number. The id number corresponds to a excel spreadsheet with the date and collection information. The paper envelopes are then placed into a mylar envelope for that species and 3 grams of desiccant is added. The mylar bags are put into small rubbermaid containers with more desiccant and stored in a refrigerator a 3C.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:54:27 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Z

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +3
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:58:26 PM »

Very nice !! Thanks for the reply :) what kind of desiccant do you normally use ? 

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

I do things a lot like you, Z.
I have separate jars for different crop types and purposes. One for ethnos, one for Capsicums, two for food crops, and one for long term backups.
As its important to let the jars warm up fully before opening I figure these crop-type jars reduce needless warmth exposure to seeds I dont even need when I take a jar out.
My reason for two food crop jars is to have one jar for more immediate use and one for stockpiles of seed I plan to make last 5+ years. For instance many biennial vegetables loose their vigor if grown from seeds from just a few plants generation after generation so I'll let kale or cabbage or something make seed and try to make that seed reserve last ten years before growing another seed crop from them. That way the blood lines should still have reasonable vigor when I'm 80  ;)
My long term backup is a kliner jar with a liner of cardboard inside to insulate and block light, the bottom inch is indicating desiccant (found in hobby shops in the flower drying gear area). When I get a new crop of orthodox seed plants I put some seeds in a 1 1/4" x 1" zip bag, prop it open with a dime, and desiccate it for a few days. These ultra-dry seed packs get put in the long term seed desiccator jar in the fridge. Ultra-drying may kill a fraction of some seed types, even of the orthodox type, but the remaining viable seeds will keep being viable for a VERY long time. It serves as a reservoir for me to retrieve genetics from 10, 20, or 40 years down the line. A rather informative paper on the subject of long term seed preservation can be viewed [here]

To avoid opening the jars too often I'll often keep a seed pack in my larder (coolest room in the house where I store food) for a week or two waiting for another reason to take out a jar.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »

A rather informative paper on the subject of long term seed preservation can be viewed [here]

This is an excellent resource, thank you for sharing.

Keep it handy, people.

Cheers,

Mandrake

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »

Wow

Thanks for the post and link, i was worried about leaving my seed dried for over a year
I was totally wrong
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 05:25:55 AM »

*the revival of a thread* :D

I found this to be great help and info, I found the best way to determine wich seed belongs in wich group is to seperate a small sample, quickly dry and check on germ rates.

http://howtosaveseeds.com/store.php

I hope this will help someone wondering about storing seeds.

Update: I do have a very important question that is troubling me: After storing seeds for too long, is there anything one can / wants to do except for breaking dormancy, sowing under the circumstances that produce the best results known and cross fingers ? Any tricks ? Anything older seeds like ?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:16:57 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.