Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: germinating calea z.  (Read 4605 times)

elstongunn39

germinating calea z.
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »

Anyone have any good tips? it's been a week and nothing yet.  I have placed the seeds on the soil surface, misted an used humidity tent.  sometimes put them near an incandescent bulb for more heat.

oriky

• Trading Score: +37
  • Green boy
Re: germinating calea z.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »

Very hard to germinate thrm, im try 3 diffrenet time without success, maybe my seeds are old...

Please fell free to send a message

acacia_kid

• Trading Score: +7
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:43:24 AM »

I think I had 2/40 or so sprout so not a very good strike rate. They do seem to strike from cuttings fairly reliably though ;)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »

The same job is up to me at the moment. I have searched the web and came with lots of pessimistic information (and optimistic info from suppliers :D ) and an interesting thread that says light is the key, Wikipedia claims the same (and here again I too found information that says otherwise ^^ ). So I'm determined to go the light route, wikipedias entry on grow light gives great information about wavelenghts and their effect on plant growth and various shops supply real cheap and powerfull LED lamps. I consider LED lamps the way to go because they're cheap reliable efficient powerfull compact wavelenght-specific and operate with very low voltage making them really safe (as if I cared :D ) and I plan on using them as grow lights later. In fact I am amazed about them and will surely get myself more for grow lights to expand growing seasons.

I have now come up with an array of LEDs on top of a incubator and must sort out cooling of the lights soon because with every 10 K temperature raise the livespan goes -50%. Then I will also sort out heating, independently from what amount (uncertain yet) of heat the light puts down because I feel like having constant temperature and cycling lighting.

Aside from lighting I didnt decide yet if I choose any inert medium for germination or simply start them in soil. I think the later is desirable, no stress transplanting, less work, natural, no objections.

I will update (hopefully soon) to inform about the methods sucess rate.
Praise is mandatory.

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:31:48 AM »

Mine sprouted in 4 days,  close to 90 % rate. It survived winter so I think it will bush out nicely this spring.  I just misted it gently kept it inside and warm,  not excessively hot and waited.

Worldseedsupply

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:22:42 AM »

Hey Semaphore...What's up? 

It's very common that they take a while though, especially the bitter ones. I don;t think I've ever had them sprout in 4 days.  Here's one of my many guides. This will help anyone who is looking to grow calea from seed or cutting http://www.worldseedsupply.com/how-to-grow-calea-zacatechichi-from-seeds-and-cuttings/