Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Whats wrong with sally?  (Read 6303 times)

Skink

• Trading Score: +30
  • Amateur herpetologist
Whats wrong with sally?
« on: August 13, 2016, 06:58:57 PM »

God I feel like such a dork right now. First and foremost I should provide the problem, my salvia divinorum has had blackening on the leaves pretty much since I got her (mid March- April I think?). At first it was just on the clipped leaves she had as a cutting, which I had assumed was normal. But as she grew taller and bigger leaves, they started getting big black or brown spots on the edges, starting at the tips too. I did some research and on this website; http://entheology.com/research/salvia-divinorum-cultivation-the-easy-way; it said that leaves that have adapted to a certain condition of humidity will turn brown once those conditions change. However over the past two days its lost four of its larger leaves that have been blackened. It still appears to be making new growth at the top but those sneaky black spots are appearing on its largest set of leaves that still remain and in worried they are gonna fall off too. All those leaves were developed when the humidity index outside was over 50% (in my area summer is almost always muggy and humid and that starts early june).

Here's a rundown of her conditions.
-she's probably about 18-20" tall right now.
- she was recently repotted; probably about two weeks ago into fresh organic potting soil with worm castings.

- she stays on my back porch while Its warm out which is covered. Every so often a stray Sun beam will show through the trees just right and give her just one small sliver of direct sunlight for about a half an hour a day but other than that she stays in the shade.

- i try to water her once every few days. I dont usually let her soil dry out completely, just til it reaches a texture that feels more powdery than spongey. I have thought that it could be that I am watering too much but if I wait any longer she always seems to droop, which I know usually means she's thirsty. I water her with either purified or distilled water and sometimes collected rain water as Ive heard they can be sensitive to chlorine.

- only recently have the temperatures outside gone above 90°f and with almost a 100%humidity index and so I read that maybe the change in temperature could be the issue? I don't think the change has been too drastic, its stayed in the mid to upper 80s for the past two weeks, with maybe a couple cooler less humid days so I didn't think that would be such an issue

-Ive also thought that maybe she got some kind of disease and shed her diseased leaves? On some of the leaves there appear to be tiny yellow specks and Ive also noticed them on a couple of my bundleflowers too, which up until recently were sitting next to her. I know thats what's happening to my pineapple sage, its making new growth but all the old growth is browning and falling off. It appears to still have sooty mold although there are no aphids. Man, Mexican sages just dont like me xP

Also there are mushroom growing in her soil. They only pop up two at a time and usually seem to dry up and die out before I even go outside to check. I know potted plants in organic soil can sometimes have mushroom hitchhikers, infact a lot of mine do, and there aren't a lot of them so I dont think its the mycelium of the mushrooms choking out the roots.
I want experienced sally growers opinions here because All the research Ive been doing has just left me with more questions than answers. So my questions are; what do you think the cause of this could be, will this issue be fatal and what should I do differently? Honestly Ive done a lot of research on this subject already and there is A LOT of conflicting information out there about how to keep salvia happy.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:10:40 PM by Skink »
I'm lonesome when you're around. I'm never lonesome when I'm by myself...

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: Whats wrong with sally?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »

Are you able to attach a pic or two?

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 11:42:36 PM »

the info online IS very conflicting  ;D
I had the same problem with my Salvia, sometimes having leaves quickly darkening and falling off, while it was looking great in the same codition just days ago. then it bounces back again, and so on.
humidity maybe.. who knows! but I would keep my eye on the soil if I were you. you say there are mushrooms growing in the same soil? sounds like it's too wet then, let the surface dry for an inch before watering. I lost a couple plants due to overwatering, and others to insects. these two were the only real problem I had with Salvia. humidity was only a problem for young cuttings. also, distilled water has no minerals that plants need. repotting and watering with regular water from now on sounds like a good idea to me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:54:42 AM by Hummingbird »

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 02:40:54 AM »

I'd love to know the answer to this.  July and August are the worst months for Sally and me.  I have never been able to grow Sally for an entire year even though it grows well and looks good for most of the year.  :(. Unless something unexpected happens, I'm about to lose the last of my current crop of cuttings.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 05:22:29 AM »

Heh, July and August have been the best months for me^

I've had the blackening leafs problem before but I'm not sure what the issue was. I had the indoors in the same soil that they are in now all winter watering them with tap water. The bottom leafs slowly fell off until it started to look decrepit. I finally pruned it back to basically nothing; no leaves, just a cluster of 2-3 inch stems at the base. It sprouted new leaves like crazy and now its outdoors under a table which provides conditions not unlike the ones you described; dappled sunlight - mostly indirect, watering with mostly rainwater. The leaves are now ever so slightly yellow, which I imagine is from some sort of nutrient deficiency.(nitrogen?)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Skink

• Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:32 AM »

Are you able to attach a pic or two?
I haven't had the time but ill try to do so tomorrow.
Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. Luckily last night there were no lost leaves. And yeah ill stop giving her distilled water. I really only need it for the fly trap.

Skink

• Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »

Here's some pics. She lost another leaf last night. I do think its too much moisture. Last night we had a crazy bad rainstorm and even the roof on the porch couldn't protect her. Is there anyway to treat root for besides just letting the soil dry out?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:55:04 PM by Skink »

Skink

• Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »

Just checked the root ball and the roots look healthy enough. Did find tiny white worms in the soil. Guess she has nematodes :(

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 08:38:12 PM »

Many nematodes are beneficial (I think more than not).  Harmful nematodes would show damage to the roots.. most often knots (which indicate... you guess'd it, root knot nematodes). 

edit:  they're also mostly microscopic
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:39:39 PM by SoulGrower »
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 08:42:51 PM »

The last pic of the leaf looks like a fungus to me. 
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 01:09:21 AM »

The white worms could be fungus gnat larvae.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

danzick

• Trading Score: +238
  • So many seeds, so little time.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 02:08:27 AM »

The white worms could be fungus gnat larvae.

I *HATE* those little bastards.  Good call Psylocke.

Skink

• Amateur herpetologist
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 03:12:18 AM »

Are those the tiny little specks buzzing around the surface of the soil? I just completely resoiled, and rinsed her roots off in warm water, and even bleached her pot  so well see if she improves.