Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Greetings from the Midwest  (Read 9095 times)

Cactizen

Greetings from the Midwest
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »

Hello STS community! I am so happy I have taken the time to make an account on here. This seems like a lovely site!

Anyways, little about me and why I am here. I love cacti, and just about any other plants for that matter (nothing compares to our cacti friends though). Growing and caring for them brings me inner peace and joy, especially those that are considered sacred. I don't have much right now, as I just got my own house only a year ago and just recently had money to start up a collection, which currently only contains a single Trichocereous Bridgesii, about 14-18 inches tall. It has put on some growth since I got it, but not enough to take cuttings yet. I also acquired a cacti cutting from my future mother in laws green house, but we do not know what it is. I also have 21 Brisgesii seeds currently germinating as of two days ago.

I hope to be able to grow this collection to many other varieties of cacti, sacred and not, and to some other plants of interest as well. I hope to be able to find some salvia cuttings to propagate, and some psychotria viridis. Eventually I plan on building a green house and growing more tropical things such as Caapi vine and possibly even mimosa if I can find some seeds.

I will get around to attaching some pictures of my current plants after work, when I can get some fresh ones. Thanks for the read everyone, and I'm excited to be a part of the community!

chamomeleon

• Trading Score: +31
  • I have a fever...... and the only cure is more cacti
Re: Greetings from the Midwest
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:20:01 PM »

Welcome!  ;D
There was a young lass from Madras
Who had a magnificent ass
It was not round and pink
as you might think
But had ears and a tail, and ate grass.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »

Welcome to STS!
Spreading love!

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

Welcome to STS! Great moniker!

Hcc

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:28:32 PM »

some psychotria viridis. Eventually I plan on building a green house and growing more tropical things such as Caapi vine and possibly even mimosa if I can find some seeds.

I can help you!

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »

Welcome to STS!

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »

Welcome, and you have come to the right place. My garden will never be the same thanks to the generosity of this community.
No living organism should be illegal.

Cactizen

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »

some psychotria viridis. Eventually I plan on building a green house and growing more tropical things such as Caapi vine and possibly even mimosa if I can find some seeds.

I can help you!

Are you referring to the seeds, or with building the greenhouse? Unfortunately the green house will have to wait a year or two because of money, but I would still love to have the seeds in storage for when the time comes. Either way it is much appreciated, you all seem like very nice people  :D

Cactizen

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »

Here is a picture of my cacti. One is not potted yet and the bridgesii shot is from about a week or two ago.

First is bridgesii,
Second is the unknown cactus cutting waiting to be planted
And third is my seeds that are germinating currently.

I'll post another pic of the bridgesii in its new spot outside once I get home. It seems to really enjoy the full sun.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »

Welcome cactizen,

Nice to have you here! I imagine the group can manage to locate some caapi, viridis, and mimosa seeds to share, among others.

edit: Feel free to peruse the Giveaways- you have access to that area and PM's now.  ;)

Peace,
Frog

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »

Welcome!!! I'm no expert, and please don't take this as what you have is what you have, but I think your 2nd cactus might be Cereus Peruvianus Monstrose.... I'm not 100% sure tho.. http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2006/09/11/Xenomorf/84c88b.jpg

Beautiful Trichocereus :)

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »

Are you referring to the seeds, or with building the greenhouse?

I was talking about seeds and cuttings!

Cactizen

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »

Welcome!!! I'm no expert, and please don't take this as what you have is what you have, but I think your 2nd cactus might be Cereus Peruvianus Monstrose.... I'm not 100% sure tho.. http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2006/09/11/Xenomorf/84c88b.jpg

Beautiful Trichocereus :)

Thank you :)
I knew it had the Monstrose mutation, but I'm sure that can make it very difficult to identify. I'll run that name by the person I got it from and see if it rings a bell.

Are you referring to the seeds, or with building the greenhouse?

I was talking about seeds and cuttings!

That would be wonderful. Could you pm me with the details?

Thanks for making me a full member too guys, now I can enjoy all the site has to offer! :D

P.S. The photo attached is the newest one from today of my Bridgesii in its outside spot.