Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: germination of Nicotiana tabacum  (Read 14492 times)

_stefano_

germination of Nicotiana tabacum
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:05:13 AM »

Hi guys,
I wanted some advice for germination and growth of Nicotiana tabacum to grow into a big pot! have wanted to know an easy germination? the seeds are very small, how many seeds I put in the jar?
thank you!

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
Re: germination of Nicotiana tabacum
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:33:01 AM »

_stefano_ , I have one experience germinating and growing Nicotiana rustica; what I did was put about 40 seeds into a Viva brand paper towel, then I wet it, put the paper towel into a ziplock style bay or similar (not fully closed). Put the bag onto a heat mat designed for seed germination, and re-moisten paper towel as needed [with a mist or light spray].

After mine germinated I put them all into the same large container, and covered them with soil; later, I seperated them into Styrofoam cups; they flowered when about 2-2.5 feet tall under constant light.

Each plant didn't produce much leaf mass, but did produce a good number of seeds.

That being said, if you smoke tobacco, germinate 40-200 [the more the better if you smoke usually], and seperate them into their own containers early (if you put them into soil together), because the root systems will be very fragile, and the seedlings tend to be inclined to lean; mine kept leaning in the cups, but were ok under strong enough light (fluorescent ...432 watts).

The ones I grew were nitrogen deficient.

_stefano_

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:48:16 AM »

Thank Seed Collector
then as I understand it is not easy cultivation, at this time I can make it stand out but in the winter? I do not have a bright enough place the plant dies or gets sick easily?
thanks again for your answer! :)

Seed Collector

• Slow but reliable
  • Trading Score: +93
  • Oklevueha Native American Church Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:29:39 AM »

The time I grew them, it was indoors. I haven't tried outdoors yet, but it's probably not hard. I should've fertilized mine more than I did, the leaves turned yellow. Separating the seelings, if needed, was one of the most risky events mine experienced (many had the small root systems break off when removing them from the dirt).

I didn't notice them getting sick, but if they are in small containers like mine were, they are somewhat sensitive to the soil drying out (under fairly strong light, especially). I waited about 4-5 days to water them once or twice, and many died.

That may not be as likely with containers larger than the medium sized Styrofoam cups that I used.

I hope my limited experience can be of some use.

Thanks.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:22:16 AM »

After the seedlings are well established and hardened off they like full sun. For more leaf mass you must "top" the plants, cut the flowers off when they start to form. This lets the nutrient production go to leaf mass instead of flower and seed production. I usually top mine 3 times and then let the fourth set of flowers grow, makes for a nice size plant and I still get seed. Last note, if the soil is too wet when they are seedlings they will be prone to "damping off" or stem rot at the soil line. The soil should be moist but you should be able to pick up a handful and squeeze, if water drips it is too wet.

Hope this is some help
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:58:55 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Khaedin

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 03:22:31 AM »

Due to the dust like size of the seeds, I've always sown an entire flat by just  scattering the seeds onto the mix, then watering in with a misting sprayer to keep them from washing away. You'll get a field of green seedlings, keep them watered and let nature take its course. After a few weeks, you'll get leader plants in various areas on your flat. Snip all nearby seedlings at the base to give your leaders some breathing room. Sowing an entire flat helps keep down on algae and mold growth. I leave a small desk fan to circulate air over the seedlings until I pick out my leaders. I grow entirely indoor and DO NOT top my tobacco plants so that I have a mass of seeds, and nicotine concentration is higher per leaf than a larger plant that's been topped multiple times. (Opinion, no scientific proof. Makes sense to me.) I grow Rustica though and not Tabacum, so there are some size differences.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:58:46 AM by Khaedin »