Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: cacti seed humidity  (Read 3150 times)

Convergence

cacti seed humidity
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »

Hi, im trying out seed germination for the first time. Ive done my research and im happy with my setup, initiated last night. I have read that the humidity is important to maintain but not get to wet. When I started the containers on the heat mat, they looked good, but overnight much condensation has formed on the lid, many droplets of water. Is this something to worry about? The soil mix is well draining, 2 part zeolite, 1 part gravel, 1 part coarse sand, and 2 part seed raising soil, and doesnt look wet at all. But it has alot of water above that worries me.

How do i tell if its too much water?

How do i tell when it needs misting?

Generally, how long should i leave it before i open it to move air and mist?

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
Re: cacti seed humidity
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 05:43:01 PM »

Zeoplite used in agriculture seems very expensive, but I am only familiar with zeolites in industrial settings, I can definitely see why it works I just wonder about the cost/efficiency. 

Nerdiness aside, seedling cacti need a lot of humidity early and condensation is a good sign.  I personally preferred the soil to look damp but not wet, if that makes sense.  I would point out that I use almost pure sand on cacti for this very reason, it is easier to tell when dry is too dry.

I think the biggest danger with condensation is the droplets falling onto and damaging the seedlings.  I find that when I do the air exchanges and misting daily (to damp but not wet) the amount of falling condensation is kinda moot. 

-Hope this helps, I am sure the cacti masters will chime in and add.

Good luck and happy growing,
-Ian

Convergence

Re: cacti seed humidity
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:17:02 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I'm gently tilting the containers every now and then and the water droplets run to the side and into the soil again. I hope this fixes the problem you alerted me to. Next time I may try a different container method.

The soil shop near me sells it and it's not that expensive. Also I intend to mix re-use the seedling mixture with my larger pit plants after its done its job for the seeds. I'm merely copying the recommendations of Hanazono from the Aus Cacti forum, he's an amazing cacti cultivator, check out this -
"Astrophytum Asterias cv Hanazono Supar"
http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ASTROPHYTUM/Astrophytum_asterias/Astrophytum_asterias_hanazono/Astrophytum_asterias_cv_Hanazono.htm