Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Growing T. Bridgesii from seed  (Read 6480 times)

spractral

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +50
  • <3
Growing T. Bridgesii from seed
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:16:26 AM »

This is just as much to keep track of things on my front as to let you all follow my grow. My last Bridgesii seeds germed well but tragically were euthanized. I am germing seeds from a different vendor; this time they look bigger and seemingly healthier though they haven't germed yet.

It has been about a week and half, so lets say we are on day 12. I believe my last seeds germed by now but I didn't keep a record and have an awful memory. I am using the same method as before; small dish filled with sterilized sand (sterilized in oven) and misting about 2 or 3 times a day, essentially when they dry out.

I have been misting less the last few days as the sand has started to develop an orangish color which could be mold starting; I believe I was misting to often the first few days. Anyways I don't remember this orange color appearing last time I germ bridgesii.

They are inside in open air near a window, which stays closed.

Any comments or advice very welcome. Cross your fingers for me.   ;D
Grow till theres no more room

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Re: Growing T. Bridgesii from seed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »

Howdy Spractal,

Just some thoughts:

1) you may want to keep them in a baggie of some sort to keep the humidity higher
2) you may consider using the back of a spoon to gently push them into the top layer of the sand. This way they can "grab" the sand a bit better once they sprout.

Those suggestions aside, they look swollen and healthy :)

Peace,
Hcc

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:36:55 PM »

I agree with happy's suggestions.  I would add though that having some nutrients in the substrate does help and sterilization isn't completely neccesary. Just keep it in mind in the future, but they will be fine for now. You'll just need to fertilize them later.

Good luck!
Cactus = Life

Convergence

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »

From what I've been told and am trying myself for the first time, its far better to create a mini humidity chamber, sterilize the medium and moisten it and then keep it closed. The moisture is retained and it stays free of contamination.

You can use a sandwich bag over a small pot of your chosen medium. If its only sand you would need to use small amounts of fertiliser as soon as the seedlings appear. Im using tupperware-like containers in the same way as the baggie method, one with holes drilled into it sitting inside another as a tray, forming a seal at the sides. You could do this with takeaway containers for cheaper.

trichocereus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »

I find great success using a seed starting heating pad underneath to keep the medium nice and warm

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »

In my limited experiance temps above the lower 70 deg. F are necessary  for healthy germination.

Anything I have started at lower temps, grows very slow and often succumbs to molds.

But my experiance with cacti seedlings is limited
III%

spractral

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +50
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

It's been a few months now and they are getting hairs; I will tryto post a picture

They've been kept in the sameopen air dish with regular misting distilledwater.

i amthinking about grafting someto perekiopsis soon; it will be my first timegrafting
Grow till theres no more room

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 04:15:08 AM »

Great thread. Any new updates? I am about to sprout my first cacti ever...ever ever...lol...plenty of experiences with other plants and some fungi, but for some strange reason I am scared to death, like its my first time. Trying to read as much as I can before I get started. I have access to some really well composted cow manure, natural field grazing poop. I have coco coir, I am going to get some sand tomorrow, I also have vermiculite as well. Really hoping to get them germinated and out in the sun come april or may.

If anyone has any tips or anything else I can benefit from please fill me in! Thanks so much!

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 04:55:41 PM »

Steve-o,

check this out:

http://www.misplant.net/SeedGrow.html

The thin layer of pure sand over the top is a pretty awesome idea.

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »

THANKS SO MUCH HCC....youre awesome my friend =  ) Love misplant too....dudes top notch...as soon as I have access to a paypal account Im going to order from him...hunting down a person with paypal is like finding gold locally....sucks so bad...Bet he runs out of what I want before I find it...but until then Ill just pop what I have...reading this now...ttys broski

husk

• Trading Score: +39
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »

Agreed on misplant, shame that seedlings aren't available as readily

Validus x scopulicola please please

(Edit due to drunk posting)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 10:56:04 PM by husk »