Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: peganum harmala germination study  (Read 30449 times)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: peganum harmala germination study
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »

Some notes.. I've read alkaline soil may be key.. I was going to try adding calcium carbonate pebbles
That's different.  I'll try again with an alkaline mix.  Last time, I got them to germinate but they died back pretty fast.  I don't have much patience for these plants but it bothers me that I haven't successfully grown them.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Biotopia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 13
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 06:48:37 PM »

It bothers me as well.  I can't stand when indoor plant husbandry cannot provide an adequate environment to grow an "invasive species".
"Only plants had consciousness. Animals got it from them." -D Pendell

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 02:27:37 AM »

My one remaining plant is doing well now. I haven't watered it in a very long time. Might be living on humidity.

Biotopia

• Trader
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 02:55:32 AM »

I'm guessing from where this plant originates and also flourishes that it has adapted to a wet season for germination and seedling stage, then a dry season for adult growth.  I'd assume that was my flaw.. I kept treating it the same and it drowned.

Biotopia

• Trader
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »

My one remaining plant is doing well now. I haven't watered it in a very long time. Might be living on humidity.

What humidity are you keeping it at?  Where it is invasive it gets quite dry so I would assume older plants would like humidity lower.  But whatever is working keep doing it by all means!

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 06:59:07 AM »

The low success rate people are reporting might be due to an unusual soil type requirements for growing Peganum Harmala.
I personally have no experience germinating it yet (was thinking of doing it this year, though), but this is what  I found on another forum:

"Syrian rue grows easily from seed sown in Spring, taking about two weeks to germinate. The plant self sows freely.
Soil should be fairly rich, sandy, and well drained. Full sun is required. The plants die back to the crowns every winter, and should be mulched where temperatures dip below 10 F. An alkaline pH between 7.3 and 8 is preferable."

(original thread: http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/12349-syrian-rue-the-mystery-of-its-successful-cultivation/)

P.S. BIG UP The Corroboree - great place with great people
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:32:57 AM by Hummingbird »

Biotopia

• Trader
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »

An alkaline pH between 7.3 and 8 is preferable."

That's why I figured calcium carbonate (crushed coral used in the aquarium hobby) would be a good soil additive.  Lower PH water would gradually disolve it and buffer the PH.  My saltwater aquarium had a PH of around 7.8.  Also the type of sand used could be a factor.  Most play sand available is silicate based.. and would not raise PH.  If you could find calcium based sand (limestone) it would have the same effect.  If the sand fizzes in vinegar it's of the limestone variety.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »

I've had success with rue using half sand half rich but not peat based potting soil plus tons of perlite. Full sun. However they do great for two or so years but then peter out on me. Tried getting them started in ground here but they wouldn't sprout??? But the same batch of seeds easily sprouted in the mix above. Someday I'll try them again on our native soil. I think if I could get them going in ground then I may get seed producing large plants which would be awesome. Not like my caapi isn't a never ending source of the similar constituency but more variety to work with is always better.
Spreading love!

Hummingbird

• Got nectar?
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »

Like Biotopia said, it's weird we are having such problems growing an "invasive species"  ;D ;D ;D
Found some more info on shroomery, it's something I didn't find before and seems interesting:

"I have grown Syrian rue successfully and it sounds like most people are having trouble with damping-off disease. This is caused by a variety of root fungus.  Syrian rue is a dryland plant. Like many dryland plants it thrives on neglect. "
"Also, most potting soils are too heavy with peat and other water retaining substances.  Use sand, gravel, and charcoal to help aerate the soil and drain in.  Don’t be afraid to use fungicides...and remember the #1 rule of horticulture & agriculture, you can never have too much air circulation. Fungus loves still, stagnate; air; if in doubt increase air flow.  Most plants are better a little drier rather than too wet.  Remember, “Cold and wet will kill for sure, warn and wet is okay.” "

So this guy says some fungus is responsible for killing Rue plants. Sick!

Original post:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17542718#17542718

Biotopia

• Trader
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »

This could possibly explain why alkaline soil helps.. It's not that the plant prefers it, but the fungus has problems growing in it.

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 02:34:21 AM »

BIG QUESTION:

Why this thread even exists?
P.harmala seeds germinate really well without any special treatment.
Just sow some on soil and water, that's all.

Isn't that the case for you??

I fed a few of its seeds to my Finch once,
later I found P.harmala plants growing under his cage.
And the soil under the cage "looked" dry (no watering).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:35:15 AM by Radium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Hummingbird

• Got nectar?
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 06:35:06 AM »

Looking into germination and growing of any plant from an experimental point of view is the only way to think of a proven "technique" for the particular plant we can use in the future. If we know the right technique already, that too should be discussed and standardized for the future.

But in the end it doesn't matter. If so many people found the topic interesting that they keep it going, the thread should be here. If not, no one will post and the thread will be forgotten. Also, there's a moderator. That's how forums work.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:39:08 AM by Hummingbird »

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »

No don't get me wrong,
I'm not saying it should be deleted or locked (that's funny)
I'm just shocked why people are discussing TEKs for this plant, which doesn't require any special procedure at all.
Since the only TEK it requires is "sow and mow"

I'm actually interested to know if that's not the case with you, (due to different zone, different strain, etc)
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Hummingbird

• Got nectar?
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 08:08:46 AM »

No... Unfortunately it's quite rainy here last few summers. I'm sure they would germinate, but wouldn't survive long. That's what people report at least.
It's my wish to try it for years, though. Will probably give it a try under HPS soon and see how it goes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3