Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Germination of Mimosa Hostilis  (Read 36271 times)

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
Re: Germination of Mimosa Hostilis
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:28 AM »

if you do a slight scarification after the soak, it probably wouldn't be as likely to kill the seed, and would be easier to do as the outer shell would be softer.

on a less related note (i couldn't find an appropriate place to post this, and i didn't feel it warranted a new thread, since it is only about hot water germination on mimosoidea):
it seems that when soaking anadenanthera peregrina var. falcata seeds in hot water, the outer shell softens up immensely, and crumbles into little pieces, as would a wet tissue paper, falling away from the seed.  the inner shell of the seed softens up quite a great deal as well, to the point where the entire content of the seed slipped out of the shell.

i have only done this hot water soak last night, so it might be premature to tell, but it appears there might be the beginnings of a root starting.

however ostensibly, it appears that for this species, hot water soaking is entirely unnecessary (though possibly still beneficial? will update later as to the success of the germination)
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 06:10:40 AM »

Yeah, that happened to me, but all of the seeds germinated.  The outer shell came off then a root came out.  I think they're supposed to do that.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 06:29:44 AM »

I did a hot water soak and all the seeds swelled. 100% germination rate. I planted 6 iirc. :)
Before when I tried it without the hot water soak my germ rate was 0%.

Caium

• Trading Score: +59
  • "Happiness' only real when shared."
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 06:49:44 AM »

Ironically, before M.ophthalmocentra, I never germinated any Mimosa or Anadenanthera seeds, but I see them seedlind naturally all the time.
Here is the proccess:
* Pod dries up, seed falls on the rocky dry ground.
* Seed keeps dormant, then rains over it or some animal pees on it.
* The wet sand around it warms up a little, under day sun light, breaking dormancy.
* At night temperature drops and humidity rises, germination happens.
So, simulate that and your seeds will grow fine.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:50:08 PM by odara »

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »

it might be premature to tell, but it appears there might be the beginnings of a root starting.
it has been a matter of hours, and the roots have noticeably grown.
so it looks like i am at least 2 for 3 (only started 3 of that species to start with) and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours. so the falcata appears readily viable (quite so)
already 3 of the 5 ophthalmocentra seeds have swollen, which is a good sign (the other 2 were completely flat, so i threw em back in for another hot water soak, I'll see if i can't get 100%)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:38:25 AM by Mandrake »
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »

I haven't been able to get the M. opth to swell. :(  Did like 10 hot water soaks on them.
Cactus = Life

Caium

• Trading Score: +59
  • "Happiness' only real when shared."
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »

I haven't been able to get the M. opth to swell. :(  Did like 10 hot water soaks on them.

Sometimes the seed is very hard, you can scratch a bit the side away from the root eye, so water can get in.
Or let it sit under direct sunlight, inside moist paper.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:11:15 AM by odara »

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »

my initial guess is the water wasn't hot enough? i get the water hot enough to where its just starting to boil with tiny bubbles, and then i pour it into an empty cup (pouring cools the water down just enough to take it to below boiling), and then toss the seeds in.  as the water cools you can add more hot water, re-heating it.
i got 3/5 to swell with one soak, the other 2 have been soaked like 4 times or something now and they still haven't swollen (i am going to leave them in the paper towel and see if they swell over night).

but as odara said, light scarification and direct sunlight would only help.

update: so i am 3/3 with the A.P. falcata (last one threw out roots last night while i slept), noticed a couple A.peregrina seeds have swollen, as have some P.diversifolium seeds, and those were just from sitting in the paper towel (only soaked the once).

also, i moved my germination station out in the direct sun, so 100% germ rate with all species is beginning to look like a possibility.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:56:52 PM by Harsh Van Nitpick »
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 02:11:13 AM »

Hi all,

Does anyone have a general guideline as to when to transplant M. Tenuiflora?

Thank you,
Hcc

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:30 AM »

Does anyone have a general guideline as to when to transplant M. Tenuiflora?

You mean after seedling stage, or when to pot it up in general?

M. Tenuiflora likes her root space, so I don't think you can rush it unless it's still a vulnerable seedling. I think the usual guidelines apply... you need to transplant when the roots are not developing as they could, and symptoms usually are hints of roots protruding through drainage holes, and especially changes in the soil. When the soil dries visibly faster, and it's less efficient absorbing water (and also drains quicker) you may consider moving the plant to a large pot - or if that's not possible, prune the roots. Ideally in vegetative season (spring-early summer). I am not aware of any other specific conditions, but perhaps someone else can tell us.

Kind regards,

Mandrake

chums of chance

• Trading Score: +1
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 08:45:09 PM »

Hey all, I found an article relevant to this discussion: Germination, dispersal and seedling establishment of Mimosa tenuiflora (Leguminosae) in Mexico. It confirms most of what everyone has already said. Still, it's good reading.

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

I'm interested to know if others are having success using these basic germination strategies with Mimosa verrucosa? I've been unsuccessful in my attempts so far.
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »

I have always had good results with a 12 hour hot water soak and then direct sowing the swollen seeds.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Worldseedsupply

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »

I see you posted the link to our Hot Water Tek guide, but the url is for the old site. The old links all redirect to the Seed of the Month page.

Here is the new link to the guide http://www.worldseedsupply.com/germinating-hard-shelled-seeds-such-as-mimosa-acacia-and-bundleflower-the-hot-water-technique/
Pages: 1 [2]