Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I found a wheat-like plant which gave me edible seeds in 2 months!  (Read 9820 times)

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: I found a wheat-like plant which gave me edible seeds in 2 months!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 04:02:43 AM »

Theres a good guide [Here] outlining various long term storage tactics one can use.
I opted for keeping a separate dedicated cache of long-term storage seeds which I first desiccate with silica gel, and then place in a kilner jar 1/4 filled with indicating desiccant. The jar I keep in the back of the fridge about mid way up and let it warm to room temp before briefly opening to toss in new seed packets. I try not to access it more than 4 times a year.

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »

Will freezing the super-dry seeds make them last even longer?
And except from dry-intolerant seeds like citrus, is it possible to damage/kill dry-able seeds from drying too much?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »

Here is two pics of the ones I gathered from the field in front of my home.
These ones received one rainfall, and thus are a lot bigger than those in my idle container.
They have 6 rows, and might give even bigger seeds if they receive adequate water.

Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:27 PM »

If you want I can send you seeds of barley that grow in different places here, many on the fields and many random escapees. I can not tell if they all are different strains or all the same and how they differ from yours, but if you want to enlarge your gene pool for further experimentation it might be interesting.
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: 1 [2]