Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How do I successfully grow poppies?  (Read 5976 times)

HulGil

• Mad Monk
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
  • Freelancer & monastic poet. Scholar-psychoanalyst.
How do I successfully grow poppies?
« on: February 16, 2016, 03:28:38 AM »

I've been trying for three years to grow poppies. The first year I succeeded in a small grow in a pot. The second year, I had a larger grow (still only 6 peat pots), but they were killed by the sudden acclimation from the patio to the outside yard. This time, I planted a grow of 30 peat pots, and planted them outside and they were killed by the same issue.

I don't know why I can grow a bunch of exotic and demanding plants but can't grow simple poppies. I have seeds in 60 peat pots right now of various types of Papaveraceae, but this time I'm starting them outdoors so there is no acclimation process. Do you think this will work? I really want to succeed in my gardening dream, which is bordering my backyard with poppies...
All men are born mad. Some remain so. (Beckett, Waiting for Godot)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: How do I successfully grow poppies?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:06:38 AM »

grow a bunch of exotic and demanding pkants but not poppies...

I guess you already found the issue you just have to draw the right conclusion: no nannying ! like no trick atuff at all, no peat pot no acclimatization, toss and grow. If that does not work you can still start asking what wasnt right (climate, soil, seeds...).

Just give that a shot for one season. You may work some compost in but they do thrive in neglect. Try with several papaveracaea as your climate might be prefferable to some over others.
Praise is mandatory.

HulGil

• Mad Monk
  • Trader
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 04:13:45 AM »

You're right, I am nannying. But thanks so much for the various seeds!

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:39:13 AM »

How could poppies be grown in a tropical/subtropical (USDA zone 10+) island environment with extreme UV solar radiation, year-round high temps and constantly high humidity; rainfall isn't very good (~1/15 days we get a drizzle)? I am curious to know how the poppy could do on a tropical island; would seeds need to be germinated in a cool place inside and slowly brought up "into the light"? Also, how much water should I give them in such an environment compared to my current place of residence (North-central FL)?
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:16:40 AM »

They (Papaver) develop deep tap roots so drough should not be a problem and you can always water. Now keep in mind those plants have been cultivated and existed in many places and adapted pretty well, so a danish breed might produce different results than a plant from north africa. Compare your local climate with climates where you could get seeds from and go with the best match for first experience, sow several times with a few weeks in between to find best sowing time. Keep in mind you can always supply water.
Personally I do not believe a poppy could get too much sun naturally, only if you put it under bad ass lamps.

May I ask at what point the poppy grows failed, when transplanting, okay, what size did they have.

Praise is mandatory.

HulGil

• Mad Monk
  • Trader
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 02:52:23 AM »

They were small seedlings

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 03:13:55 AM »

Mhmmm poppies suffer from that when veeeery young. As soon as you have a yummy salad worthy plant damping off is no problem anymore.
Praise is mandatory.

The Seedist

• Trading Score: +35
  • A bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:59:17 PM »

Both at  http://hTTp://gen.lib.rus.ec/ï
Link is broken and wrong written so let us know new right link please.
Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains.

JMZ

• Trading Score: +149
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 12:41:28 AM »

I grew a bunch of poppies outdoors in GA years ago. I scattered thousands of seeds, if not tens of thousands, and had lots of plants. Unfortunately the rain washed a lot of the seeds into tight groups which I had to thin out later. If I remember right, you have to plant them in the winter, or very early spring? The seedlings were so small and had to compete with the weeds, so I couldn't monitor progress very well until about this time of the year, but I had many rise above the weeds to produce flowers and pods.
Kratom is my fountain of youth.