Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What kind of trichocereus is this?  (Read 4224 times)

Convergence

What kind of trichocereus is this?
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »

First photo is the cactus I need identified. The second photo is my Scopulicola for reference,

I can't differentiate one pachanoi from another half the time, and I'm very confused by the whole Predominant Cultivar thing. What have I got here? They are from the same mother plant and are really fat, ranging from 11cm to 14cm thick. (4" to 5.5" thick).

People on another forum keep saying scopulicola but my old scopulicola looks nothing like these cuttings in the first photo. And my scopulicola is quite a lot thinner.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:52:04 PM by Convergence »

modern

• Trading Score: +199
Re: What kind of trichocereus is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:47:28 PM »

Looks like scop but can just be a fat non-pc pachanoi.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

Convergence

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »

Looks like scop but can just be a fat non-pc pachanoi.

Then is my scopulicola not what I think it is? (The second picture) Im sure it's a scop, it even has that rougher texture skin and almost no spines.

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »

Looks to me like both photos are of Scops.  There can be some variability and I think that you have two distinct specimens exhibiting some of this variability.

Trichocereus.net

Trouts Notes

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »

I'd call it a scopulicola as well, but the pictures are a bit blurry so it's hard to see the spines.
Cactus = Life

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »

You now have the two most common types of scop :)
The sunken areole one in the second photo is the most photographed, and the most common scop in australia.
The exposed areole ones you just got are the most common north american clonal line. It can have 1mm long spines that you can feel if you grab it, but generally wont pierce skin. These spines are still in line with the original species-founding official description of scopulicola.
I havent grown the sunken areole 'belly button scop' but I do have the exposed areole form and they sure are growers. In full sun with lots of heat and seemingly dangerous amounts of water and fertilizer they grow like corn and get seriously fat.
If you encounter what looks like a scop but with PC looking spines, that would be Trichocereus riomizquensis. It sometimes gets sold as a scop on ebay.

Now get your two scops to flower and breed those puppies!  :P