Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hey friendos!  (Read 5316 times)

blackb0x

• Trading Score: +8
Hey friendos!
« on: September 02, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »

Hi all,

I just joined this board to get some ideas on what to grow next and hopefully start sharing some of my plants. I'm a software engineer by trade and recently moved to a fairly unforgiving climate, but I've been doing my best to make things work with an indoor grow. I love self-sufficiency and love growing fruits and vegetables as well. If you're interested in sharing seeds or knowledge, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Cheers!

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
Re: Hey friendos!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:07:46 PM »

:) Welcome to the site - "part of the ship/part of the crew"!

I'm indoors-only too at present, but still manage to have a nice little selection going; albeit somewhat temperamental and slow-growing. What kind of species are you growing?
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

SKUNK

• Trading Score: +69
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 01:26:14 AM »

Welcome to Share the Seeds.  Hope you enjoy your stay around here.

I too live in a pretty unforgiving climate as well.  Although I am able to grow a few ethnos and fruit crops out doors.  I do tend to grow indoors over our long cold winters and really enjoy the year round enjoyment of having a indoor garden. 

What kind of species of plants so you currantly have growing?

SkunK
The best time to plant seeds was 5 years ago; the next best time is right now!

blackb0x

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:20:20 AM »

Right now I'm mainly growing some salvia divinorum, nicotiana rustica, psychotria viridis, and some hybrid superhot peppers (plus a few others I just started which are listed in my profile). I've been trying to grow banisteriopsis caapi, but all of the ones I've ordered so far have managed to commit seppuku in the mail, seemingly because of the heat or dryness  >:(

I'm really looking forward to taking some salvia cuttings to share, as it was super hard for me to get a hold of, but super easy to grow.

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »

Welcome, I just procured my first salvia as well :)
I have nicotiana rustica finishing up in my garden right now, I have many freshly dried leaves so now I can give thanks to nature in our proper native American tradition when wild harvesting. :)

OfCows

• Trading Score: +75
  • Glad to be here!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »

Nice! Hows your rustica going? I was recently given some seeds so planning to try sowing once I have more space. I'm looking forward to sharing some Salvia cuttings too, once mine are big enough to do so...
A man's errors are his portals to discovery...

Shamichael

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 01:32:27 AM »

The rustica did amazing, once they get going it's off to the races, I started mine in a tray and transplanted outside in a small corner of my garden that doesn't get the best sun and they still did great.  Next year I plan on growing more in a more prime location.

blackb0x

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 03:52:09 AM »

I've had the same experience. Rustica seems super tolerant in regards to light, it just needs a fair bit of moisture when starting. What was your germination rate like? I was amazed at how high mine was given how many seeds there are in a pod.

Shamichael

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 04:53:48 AM »

Not sure exactly but almost all germinated.
About to start some cacti seeds, I have the following seeds so they will be good to start now heading into winter.

Trichocereus cuzcoensis
Trichocereus cuzcoensis x T.bridgesii 'Psycho00
Trichocereus pachanoi 'Matucana'
Trichocereus scopulicola
Trichocereus terscheckii
Trichocereus peruvianus - Icaro 
Trichocereus 'Super Pedro' x 'Anakie

Also have the following and not sure weather I should start them now or wait till late winter

Peganum harmala - Syrian Rue
Banisteriopsis caapi v. caupuri -
Psychotria viridis - Chacruna 'Brazil'
Psychotria carthagenensis - Sameruca
Mimosa hostilis v. inermis - Jurema

As it is I have so many plants and cacti that I need to set up a nice are with grow lights for winter.

AlaskanKingCrab

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +19
  • chilihead. Hippie. Shaman.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 12:27:09 AM »

Right now I'm mainly growing some salvia divinorum, nicotiana rustica, psychotria viridis, and some hybrid superhot peppers (plus a few others I just started which are listed in my profile). I've been trying to grow banisteriopsis caapi, but all of the ones I've ordered so far have managed to commit seppuku in the mail, seemingly because of the heat or dryness  >:(

I'm really looking forward to taking some salvia cuttings to share, as it was super hard for me to get a hold of, but super easy to grow.

I'd be really interested in talking to you about superhots and hybrids. I got my hands on an F6 hybrid and a supposed F1 hybrid. We will see what happens next year when I plant. Look forward to being able to send you. Pm when I'm a full member.
Peace and Love, With a Little Bit of Sin.

blackb0x

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 04:36:08 AM »

I'd be really interested in talking to you about superhots and hybrids. I got my hands on an F6 hybrid and a supposed F1 hybrid. We will see what happens next year when I plant. Look forward to being able to send you. Pm when I'm a full member.

Right on! I used to have a ton of really cool hybrids like peach morugas, but I ended up having to leave them with some family, so I'm really looking forward to getting some new varieties. I'm going to try to overwinter some plants this year because I started mine way too late, so we'll see how that goes.

AlaskanKingCrab

• Trader
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »

Oh man a peach moruga would be gnarly as hell. What was the taste/heat level like on it?

blackb0x

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 05:03:28 AM »

Way too hot for me :P I can't taste much above bhuts. 900K Scoville is about the max I can handle enjoyably.

They went great with some citrus fruits, carrots, and garlic for hot sauce though.

AlaskanKingCrab

• Trader
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »

I like to think myself a collector or super hot/rare hot pepper seeds. A peach moruga would make me need to change my plants. Where did you get the seeds if you rememeber? or did you crossbreed it yourself?

blackb0x

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 12:54:22 AM »

I like to think myself a collector or super hot/rare hot pepper seeds. A peach moruga would make me need to change my plants. Where did you get the seeds if you rememeber? or did you crossbreed it yourself?

I actually got them by total chance. I usually get seeds from Judy, and she always sends a few extra mystery packets as gifts no matter small the order. One of them ended up being peach bhuts, and they apparently crossed with some of the red Trinidad moruga scorpions I had already been saving from prior years, as I always save seeds to see what kind of hybrids turn up. I never had the chance to try to stabilize it, but it actually looks like someone's already done it if you search for Jay's peach ghost scorpion on most stores.
Pages: [1] 2