Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: Plant Identification Thread  (Read 187149 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Plant Identification Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »

Im currently IDing the following;

My best guess at the first is some Artemisia, it grows weedy, reches height of maybe 300 mm, the leaves are saw toothed and average at about 10mm in length, in the upper portions green spheres can be seen, they might be seeds. The weed caught my attention by its very own dominant smell, it is pleasing sweet and spicy. 3 pics

Next is this a nice blooming plant that does exactly that: bloom nice :D I have put some in a vase a few days ago, today in the same area I found seed pods and seeds in dried stems wich I suspect to be from the same species. 2 pics Muze801 possibly is on the right track, Phlox Divaricata, look similar to me in many aspects.

I have a weedy growing plant that has yellow flowrs at its top, as soon as they fade a seedpod is developed wich contains seeds smaller than the Papaver Rhoeas ones. It has a pleasing smell that reminds of sap from needle trees and also sacramental smoke resin ... I hope you know what I mean, one of the 3 holy kings is said to have carried this as present :D . 2 pics

Lastl I believe I have positively IDed wild Humulus Lupulus, male and female. The female "gender parts" seem to have a uncommon shape due to being a wild specimen and also having been pollinated. I have been requested this species. 1 pic female, 1 pic male, anyone to confirm my ID ?

Thanks all for participation.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:21:52 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

muze801

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • USDA Zone: 5-7b
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »

Funny, I spent a few hrs last night trying to ID a flower quite similar to this (the pink/mauve ones anyway) and figured that mine was a Phlox endemic to my area. Many of these species are aromatic/fragrant (i.e. Phlox subulata)
Maybe try looking at Polemoniaceae naturalized in your area? Hard to tell what the vegetation/growth habit is from my screen so I can't be too much help right now. Maybe the Apocynaceae's are worth checking out too ?

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »

Yellow flower one looks like Hypericum perforatum, st. johns wort

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »

St. johns appears very likely, that would explain the pleasent smell and I will today go there and try the method wiki advises for ID, see photo.
Being St. Johns I consider it a find :)
Praise is mandatory.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »

The first one looks a lot like "Epazote" to me, especially in the flower/fruit.
Ambrina ambrosioides, Chenopodium ambrosioides ssp. euambrosioides, Chenopodium ambrosioides var. ambrosioides, Chenopodium ambrosioides var. anthelminticum, Chenopodium ambrosioides var. chilense, Chenopodium ambrosioides var. typicum, Chenopodium ambrosioides var. vagans, Chenopodium obovatum, Chenopodium retusum, Dysphania ambrosioides, Teloxys ambrosioides, Teloxys vagans

The leaves are more palmate(I think that's the word? Like a hand, not a plate) than mine.
But there is meant to be quite a bit of variation due to man made and natural selection for different chemical componants.
The smell is pretty recognizable and I guess I would describe it as spicy, and a bit rank/petroleum/diesel like?

Smells like cattle vermicide, or flea wash for dogs as they contain similar chemicals.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »

Thank you :) that seems right, I checked and found Dysphania Botrys to be native here and also share the appearance.

The smell, as for me, I would describe it as pleasent.
Thank you very much :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:44:20 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2014, 02:11:48 PM »

Epazote is probably not it if it's "pleasant".   :P  I would say "unpleasant, overpowering and slightly nauseating", but that's just me personally.  :-X
I am sure some folks would disagree.

Dysphania Botrys is on the money I would say.
Bit exciting as I have never heard of that one and I am a big fan of all those types of Chenopodium like fellas.
Pm sent.

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2014, 04:26:19 AM »

Dysphania Pumilio appears as likely, only two things against it:

1. you, fairdinkumseeds, would know it its native to aus
2. on pictures the leaves seem to count less teeth, I think

Everything else is pretty much the same, maybe the exact species will stay a mystery :D
Praise is mandatory.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »

Do you think this is Trichocereus peruvianas var. cuzcoensis?

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »

Looks like a cuzcoensis to me. Bleaching of the lower spines, swollen spine bases. Not 100% on it though.
Cactus = Life

Auxin

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2014, 11:48:31 PM »

I'd say it looks cuzcoish except for the long spines being kinked downward at their base. I remember that trait from something, and it wasnt labeled as a cuzco.
Trichocereus rosei might have been the kinky bastard I'm thinking of, but the spine pattern and bleaching doesnt match.
Hybrid?  :P

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2014, 12:24:49 AM »

Here we go again,

I was just offered some very kind help with some ID, so adittionally to the Dysphania wichs exact ID isnt clear yet, I would like to post this Anthemideae species. I could imagine it to be Matricaria or Tripleurospermum. The stem parts at several places but only in "Y" configuration. It has no leaves but the ones that can be seen. I show one flower as a whole and one without the yellow tube flowers. Also I took macro shots of the seeds, one as a bare seed and one with remainders of the dlower covering it. For the last shot I removed the seeds from the flower.

Pardon, EIRN, I meant "Matricaria"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:19:25 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2014, 12:34:43 AM »

I could imagine it to be Matrica or Tripleurospermum.

I looked in internet info and not found anything about Matrica.
Tripleurospermum pics are very similar to your pics. Anyway Asteraceae botanical family is often difficult to ID

Auxin

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2014, 03:37:26 AM »

The keys hosted by Jepson have at times just given me a headache, and at times have let me ID plants. They'll probably do one or the other for you  :)
Heres the key for Asteraceae
I hope your latin is good  :P

marshmellow

• Trading Score: +29
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »

Found this tree in east Tennessee near a river and would like to see if I can get it identified. They are 20 to 30  feet tall and growing all over along the bank or the river. Thank you
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35