Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Unique Salvia leaves?  (Read 5750 times)

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +181
  • In the moment.....
Unique Salvia leaves?
« on: May 13, 2017, 04:29:07 AM »

I cant find anything in my research where other people have discussed this. I am curious if others have witnessed this and what could cause it. I noticed two unique Salvia leaves tonight. The first few pictures shows a leaf with very exaggerated serration on one side of the leaf and is lacking on the opposing side. Its hard to see in the pictures but it is also connected to the neighboring leaf at the base. The second to last picture shows another leaf where the serration is far more defined. What do you guys think? Maybe its a common thing.  :-[ I am not an experienced grower of this plant. The last picture is to show (off) the whole plant. Hope my explanation and pictures clearly represent what I am trying to show. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:32:44 AM by rakeandbake »
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~

The Seedist

• Trading Score: +35
  • A bookworm
Re: Unique Salvia leaves?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:36:01 PM »

These are only mutations, just proceed to grow it and keep calm.
Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:43:27 AM »

Almost looks polyploidy, i cannot say for sure, here is a Salvia that is polyploid;
http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=1766.msg34739#msg34739
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • In the moment.....
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:04:30 AM »

I am not so sure on polyploid. Ive also heard of the 3 leaf 6 side stem that can also be refered to as "trinity". The stems are all square and each only have two leaves rather than 3. Thank you for the link. That was a good possibility. I made a new observation tonight. The entire plant has one leaf per stem (as it should). Except for the leaves in question and the ones opposite the stem. These ones each have two leaves per stem. Im excited to see if this "mutation" will continue into all new growth or if it is a freak occurance that wont resurface. I am very curious though, if all of these plants are virtually all the same genetics, does that mean something in the environment caused the mutation?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:38:53 PM by rakeandbake »
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~

The Seedist

• A bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »

does that mean something in the environment caused the mutation?
Of course man, you yet remember how they cried over there before it all started...

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:30:17 PM »

Not sure what it is, but if it stabilizes I'd love a cutting or two! Always cool to see new mutations.
So is it growing 4 leaves from those nodes, two of which are connected, rather than the standard 2 leaves/node? Like, leaves are coming from all 4 sides of the stem at those nodes rather than alternating?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:32:10 PM by GrowerAndaShower »
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

The Seedist

• A bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »

I am not so sure on polyploid. Ive also heard of the 3 leaf 6 side stem that can also be refered to as "trinity". The stems are all square and each only have two leaves rather than 3. Thank you for the link. That was a good possibility. I made a new observation tonight. The entire plant has one leaf per stem (as it should). Except for the leaves in question and the ones opposite the stem. These ones each have two leaves per stem. Im excited to see if this "mutation" will continue into all new growth or if it is a freak occurance that wont resurface. I am very curious though, if all of these plants are virtually all the same genetics, does that mean something in the environment caused the mutation?

Not sure what it is, but if it stabilizes I'd love a cutting or two! Always cool to see new mutations.

It all means the only one thing now: peeps need or will need more and more mutants from you :D Grow them, propagate them only and make the whole crowd happy! Don't forget to name your mutantclones of a very special name. Find it. It's important to stay in History of Salvia grow movement. You have a chance. Remember other peeps can only dream of your case. I knew folks who might kill others for things like these. I'm not joking, man.

Updated: Great way to check your EGO out 8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:34:33 PM by The Seedist »

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »

From what ive read Salvia mutants usually eventually go back to normal, wishes the best to you  ;D
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

The Seedist

• A bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:21 PM »

From what ive read Salvia mutants usually eventually go back to normal, wishes the best to you  ;D
No, pleeeaase, r'n'b keep them mutants, make them happy mutants, propagate them mutants, I wanna see you becoming a Salvia Star of STS!

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • In the moment.....
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »

Ive been quite busy. I apologize for the slow reply. I inspect my plant daily. It seems so far that the mutation presented from one node only. I will continue to keep an eye on her. Once she is big enough to take a cutting, I will attempt to take it from below that node to see if it carries to the next rooted plant. Unless anyone else has a better idea to try and stabilize the mutation?
~Timothy Leary~

The Seedist

• A bookworm
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »

Unless anyone else has a better idea to try and stabilize the mutation?
I would leave her alone, for ever.

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 10:49:24 PM »

Looks like you got a reward for all the hard work keeping her alive! Glad it worked!
Maybe it would be a good idea letting that branch root first, while on the plant.
I've done it successfully with my plant way back, putting paper towels around nodes.
That way you can make sure the cutting will root. Well, it's just a thought.
Good luck man!!

The Seedist

• A bookworm
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »

Propagate her putting a cutting to water, change it often keeping clean and keep it in warm place with enough light upon it, it's easy and good enough to make her a new happy young plant.

The Seedist

• A bookworm
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 10:07:42 AM »

Has anyone on STS so called Blosser strain of S.d. http://sampedros.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/salvia-divinorum-blosser-strain.html ?