Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sceletium tortuosum and Delosperma bosseranum  (Read 5043 times)

dEEcor

• Trading Score: +10
  • Germany https://prism-break.org ॐ
Sceletium tortuosum and Delosperma bosseranum
« on: May 24, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »

Have you grown S. tortuosum or D. bosseranum successfully? If so, please post your optimum setting (soil, temperature, light, nutrients etc.). Thanks!

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Sceletium tortuosum and Delosperma bosseranum
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:46:18 PM »

I'm near Bundaberg Qld, its bloody cold, winter weather now.
The Delosperma mother plants are still pumping along, the Sceletium died/rotted/dried out a couple months back when we had the wet and it doesn't look like its coming back from the roots, just a big pot full of dust now, but leaving it sitting just incase of miracles.

Planted seeds outside in pots and got a great germination over the last month-couple weeks.
Sandy soil, greenhouse, watered daily, that's about all I know.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Psylover

• Hobby ethnobotanist
  • Trading Score: +82
  • Love for all life.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:30:54 AM »

How i germinated kanna seeds
What i did to break Dormancy in kanna seeds was to place them in small individuel pots with cactus soil. top sow lightly pressed into the soil and moistened(not wet). I did put a lid on to keep them moist just make sure light gets through then put in to the fridge for a day. After a day bring them out into a sunny window for a day. If they haven't germinated continue to place in fridge for a day and then take them out for a day until they germinate. Be sure never to place any seeds that have germinated in the fridge it will kill the seedlings. Caring for them is easy just let them dry out a bit before watering and some additional info can be fund here: http://kanna-sceletium.blogspot.dk/2009/06/we-use-following-method-for-germinating.html hope you find it useful.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:12:09 AM by Psylover »
Be good. Be evil. Just remember there's a balance jing and jang. good is only good because of evil. Evil is only evil because good.
So removing all evil would be removing all good?

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:54:58 PM »

I couldn't get kanna seeds to sprout. However, I have had great success growing them in pots indoors under a florescent light. They seem to like a moderate-high amount of water. During long stretches of not being watered the plant will use up its stored water in the leafs and they will shrivel up. I try to water them every few days. Kanna cuttings root VERY easily. You only need 1-2 leaf nodes to start a new cutting. I had one plant and turned it into 5-6. I had them growing in just regular potting soil mix until I planted them outdoors yesterday. As far as temp goes; it's stayed pretty much between 60-80 in the house the entire duration I've grown them.

dEEcor

• Trading Score: +10
  • Germany https://prism-break.org ॐ
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:10 AM »

Thank you for your entries. The following text summarises most theories:

"Growing Information: Sceletium seeds contain germination inhibitors. This is actually a common defense for many plant species because it causes staggered germination, which has various survival benefits in the wild. The inhibitor is soluble in water. So the first step is to remove it, either by an extended soak (up to a few weeks) while remembering to change the water daily or by rinsing the seeds thoroughly under running water. Using the extended soak method, seeds may germinate during the soaking process. As with all cultivation, distilled or bottled water is always better than tap water. Gibberrelic acid treatment will also counteract the effects of the inhibitors and cause quicker, more even germination than any other method. After removing the germination inhibitors, some growers also recommend scarifying the seeds by putting them in a bag of sterile sand and shaking them so that the sand wears down the seed coat. Seeds should then be sown on top of a sterile, sandy soil mixture. Addition of a fungicide is beneficial. Cover the pot with clear plastic to keep in humidity. Optimal germination temperature is about 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit, although some growers prefer temperature fluctuations between day and night. Seeds will do best when placed close to fluorescent lights. Typical germination time is anywhere from two weeks to two months." - http://www.worldseedsupply.com/product/sceletium-tortuosum-kanna-seeds/

"The kanna that grows from these seeds has a pleasant sweetness and is not bitter like the powdered kanna available everywhere else."
http://www.shamansgarden.com/p-241-kanna-sceletium-tortuosum-seeds.aspx

We should find a individual plant with the best properties and then clone it a lot as well as try to make them dominant in further generations for seed supply  ::)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:31:41 AM by dEEcor »