Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Salvia Divinorum seedlings from propagated seeds  (Read 45498 times)

When

Salvia Divinorum seedlings from propagated seeds
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:21:29 AM »

Hello,
I have joined this forum to gain and share info about the propagation of salvia seeds.

I have successfully managed to propagate and germinate 2 Salvia Divinorum seeds through hand pollination.
I only harvested 2 seeds and both germinated.

My story so far...

I acquired 3 small salvia clones 3 years ago, and they grew at a slow rate despite my efforts at keeping the humidity level up. Two of the cuttings didn't make it after an episode with spider mites and the third one was not looking good. The good news was that I was able to eradicate the mites with a strong solution of capsicum extract and neem oil but the bad news was I lost 2 of 3 plants and the 3rd one was looking sad. I gave it a good soaking with water and put it in a corner beside a bright southern exposed window.

A couple weeks went by and I noticed new growth starting from the bottom of the stem. The plant was about 8" tall and was basically a greenish brown stem by this time. For some reason the plant starting growing with vigor. Within 2 months she was over 2 ft tall, healthy and growing nice big fat leaves. This growth continued throughout the summer months receiving only natural light from the bright sunny window. Care was taken to only expose her to indirect sun for the exception of direct morning sun for a couple hours a day. Water was given when visually needed, she would wilt a bit telling me to water. I learned to know when she required water after a while before wilting began, lots of attention was given to this. Daytime temperatures never exceeded 27c before the air conditioning kicked in, and at night 16c would be the low. Room humidity ranged from 20-95 with the average being 35-50 %. No special feeding was given other than 20/20/20 houseplant fertilizer every 6 weeks or whenever I found the leaves turning a bit yellowish. She was grown in regular houseplant soil in a 8" ceramic pot, standard depth.

At night never was she given any light, never, ever. I was able to remove the lights from the room so no accidental light was given during the dark period. She grew totally on natural light, and care was given to limit the amount of direct sunlight. If given too much light she would physically turn away from the light and wilt.

Late in the summer I noticed a change in growth at the meristem, she was beginning to flower!
The fall season came and she was in full bloom and that's when I started hand pollinating the flowers. Every morning for a few days I pollinated with the fresh flowers that fell on the ground that night or early morning, or the odd one that fell from the plant during pollination. I would basically gently stick the flower, that was picked up from the floor into the flowers on the plant and rub them in and out (it was good for me too lol )

During the process I really didn't expect much as a result. I read so much about salvia not really being able to set seed, and if seeds were set the viability would be real low so that most won't germinate and the ones that did manage to sprout would probably be too weak then die. This made me want to try, but my expectations were set in the reality of that I was probably wasting my time. Some time later, about 2 or 3 weeks I notice a dark spot inside on of the flower pods...seeds!!!

I placed a 2"x2" plastic zip bag over the flower(carefully) to catch any seeds that might fall out of the calyx, they point down and are flute like, so the ripe seeds have a chance of detaching and rolling out on the floor. A couple weeks pass and I decide to harvest my seeds. It turned out I didn't really need the bag over the flower pod because no seeds feel out from the pod.
I removed the pod from the plant, opened it up and found 2 nice looking seeds!!

I carefully took the 2 seeds and placed them in the 2x2 bag zip it and label it. The seeds were kept at room temperature in the dark. Again I didn't have much confidence anything would come from these 2 seeds because of what I read previously, and that's partially why I was in no hurry to plant the seeds, so they sat for 4 months or so before I decided to plant them.

Around 10 days later I was shocked to see 2 little, very fragile looking seedlings 

That was about 3 1/2 weeks ago since I planted the seeds together in a pot with soil consisting of a mix of regular commercial houseplant soil, perlite and cactus soil.

Today is day 9 since they sprouted and for the first time, you can see in the picture that one of the little guys are showing its first true pair of leaves! I'm very excited to see this progression and also very excited to share this with everyone interested!!!

:)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:40:22 AM by When »

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Re: Salvia Divinorum seedlings from propagated seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »

Welcome to STS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/ :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)move]

Borstos

• Trading Score: +4
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »

Great writeup and nice to hear that it can be done :)

Welcome at STS!

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »

Welcome and super glad to see salvia by seed documented.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

cunningplatypus

• Trading Score: +317
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »

Hey When,

That's fantastic! Great job there.  :) Please keep the pictures coming.

Welcome to STS!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 04:57:48 PM »

Welcome, really cool awesome and lucky stiff, keep the strain alive and grow a lot generatively !

Maybe their rough lives contributed to favourable mutation, or its just an awesome strain. Can you name the strain ?

I think I have seen your seedlings elsewhere :D
Praise is mandatory.

SlowGrow

• Trading Score: +7
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »

Amazing! Welcome to sts! :)

When

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »

Welcome to STS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/ :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)move]
[/m]

Great writeup and nice to hear that it can be done :)

Welcome at STS!

Welcome and super glad to see salvia by seed documented.

Hey When,

That's fantastic! Great job there.  :) Please keep the pictures coming.

Welcome to STS!

Amazing! Welcome to sts! :)

Thanks a lot guys, it's my pleasure to be here and be able to share this with everyone

:D

When

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 07:00:09 PM »

Welcome, really cool awesome and lucky stiff, keep the strain alive and grow a lot generatively !

Maybe their rough lives contributed to favourable mutation, or its just an awesome strain. Can you name the strain ?

I think I have seen your seedlings elsewhere :D

Thanks!
I believe her struggle for survival may have been a big reason for this. Did her extinct to produce seed kick in after her near death experience? I never cut her for cuttings until after the seeds were set, so did she think she wouldn't be multiplied by cloning so seed were the way to go? There were a few times where she wilted quite severe due to heat and a lack of water, was that a factor? There were some certain rules that were strictly followed such as absolutely no lights turning on during the dark period. I didn't use any special ferts, substrate or water. The soil was store bought houseplant soil as well as the liquid fertilizer,"distilled" tap water sitting for a couple days at room temp was always used.

I'd like to list all the factors that took place for all to try and determine which factors and conditions contributed more or less to the successful propagation and germination of the seeds.

I'm not sure which strain she is, maybe you or someone can help id

Cheers   :)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »

Great job! I believe you might be correct about some of the factors which led to seeds; the lack of taking cuttings in addition to the rough beginning, and lack of artificial lights at no lights at night. Perhaps it was because you left the two seeds alone for 4 months which led to easy germination?? Maybe that's just speculation?

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »

This is amazing! Welcome to STS!!!!!

Skautroll

• Happy Hoarder
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +31
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 11:30:03 PM »

Awesome work!

Looks like you proved a well established myth to be wrong, S. divinorum has a stable population that reproduce by both seed and cloning. Now we know that S. divinorum is fertile and that there exist actual strains of salvia in the wild.
"Taking yourself too serious, is a serious sign of psychological illness"

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 02:51:47 AM »

I have noticed that some of my stuff, Passiflora for example germinates faster when it is 12months+ old.
Maybe that age is the reason so many folks fail when trying to grow sally from seed and it isn't that the seed won't grow, just that fungi and rot grows faster than the seed can germinate.
Maybe in nature the seed ripens in the pod, falls from the plant still safe a dry inside, and months later is washed and eroded from its safe little packet ready to sprout?
That delay could be advantageous, staggering germination times as it does in some Passiflora, ensuring the see only sprouts when conditions are perfect and the seasonal rains or whatever have come.
Several folks I have spoke to germinated sally from seed(none documented which is a real shame), and all had the seed sent from a friend or seed they forgot about in a cupboard. All successes that I know of had a delay of several weeks to months before planting and maybe this is a key detail.

Every expert on FB that carries on about sally never growing from seed and being sterile has a story about super fresh straight from the plant seed that never germinated or did but was damaged/mutated/twisted weak and eventually died by about its 3rd set of leaves if not before. Those symptoms could all just be fungal damage to immature tissue, not a sign of genetic abnormality after all.

Would LOVE to show them here but bloody "experts" with closed minds and bad attitude, eh.
Keep up the good work When, take lots of pics, it's important stuff.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

When

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »

Great job! I believe you might be correct about some of the factors which led to seeds; the lack of taking cuttings in addition to the rough beginning, and lack of artificial lights at no lights at night. Perhaps it was because you left the two seeds alone for 4 months which led to easy germination?? Maybe that's just speculation?

I think there is something to this as well. I don't want to dismiss the slightest detail right now, as it may be the key to the combination that added up to germinated seeds. Those factors you mentioned I believe we're very important. I have taken cuttings which have recently been transplanted. I will be putting one near/under my t5's for growth to see the difference between artificial and natural light on them.

This is amazing! Welcome to STS!!!!!

Thanks man, glad to share

Awesome work!

Looks like you proved a well established myth to be wrong, S. divinorum has a stable population that reproduce by both seed and cloning. Now we know that S. divinorum is fertile and that there exist actual strains of salvia in the wild.

Thank you! We need more growers taking part with seed propagation. The mother plant needed no coaxing whatsoever to flower, she did it naturally and with vigor, so I thought why wouldn't a plant that flowers so readily not be willing to set seed? it surely had all the parts.

When

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 02:47:07 PM »

I have noticed that some of my stuff, Passiflora for example germinates faster when it is 12months+ old.
Maybe that age is the reason so many folks fail when trying to grow sally from seed and it isn't that the seed won't grow, just that fungi and rot grows faster than the seed can germinate.
Maybe in nature the seed ripens in the pod, falls from the plant still safe a dry inside, and months later is washed and eroded from its safe little packet ready to sprout?
That delay could be advantageous, staggering germination times as it does in some Passiflora, ensuring the see only sprouts when conditions are perfect and the seasonal rains or whatever have come.
Several folks I have spoke to germinated sally from seed(none documented which is a real shame), and all had the seed sent from a friend or seed they forgot about in a cupboard. All successes that I know of had a delay of several weeks to months before planting and maybe this is a key detail.

Every expert on FB that carries on about sally never growing from seed and being sterile has a story about super fresh straight from the plant seed that never germinated or did but was damaged/mutated/twisted weak and eventually died by about its 3rd set of leaves if not before. Those symptoms could all just be fungal damage to immature tissue, not a sign of genetic abnormality after all.

Would LOVE to show them here but bloody "experts" with closed minds and bad attitude, eh.
Keep up the good work When, take lots of pics, it's important stuff.

Thanks!
More pics to come. Experts... :P Ha!

Yes I believe you are correct, and that's a very interesting example. I too think the time the seed had to set is a major factor in its survival. It helps to know you have heard of others who have waited before planting that have had success. From the information I've read, the seed should have been infertile after 4-5 months, or have a very very low germination rate. So why did they have a 100% germination rate?... "Experts"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6