Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Calliandra angustifolia - ID  (Read 10745 times)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Calliandra angustifolia - ID
« on: August 17, 2016, 02:53:37 PM »

Calliandra angustifolia

Anyone growing this?  I'd like to obtain some seeds.  I trust that the following links are correct but the plant and seeds that I've found available for sale, so far, are mis-ID.
Data sheet:
http://www.rain-tree.com/bobinsana.htm#.V7Rbh-Q8KK0

Image:
http://www.rain-tree.com/Plant-Images/calliandra-pic.htm
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:58:22 AM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: Calliandra angustifolia
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 03:49:03 PM »

I have this plant but so far its never produced seed. Someday if life permits I'll share this guy with y'all!
Spreading love!

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »

I have this plant but so far its never produced seed. Someday if life permits I'll share this guy with y'all!

Cool!  I'm trying to learn about the plant but I think the photo link is correct, do you agree.  Unfortunately, it isn't clear and doesn't show the whole plant but I haven't found anything better.  Would you post a clear picture of your plant and a closeup of its leaves and flowers so I'll know better what to look for?  ???   All my internet searches are coming up dry.

And if you could, something that gives an indication of size in the frame would be helpful.  For example, I've attached a pic of a calliandra tergemina var. emarginata branch in my garden with a bumblebee in the flower.

Could you do this for me? No rush, whenever you get some time would be much appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:30:16 PM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »

I received what were supposed to be "Bobinsana" seeds from kiwi a few years back. I beleive them to be C angustifolia, but I really don't know enough about how these plants are classified to say how sure I am of that...
This is my only one I have left. No flowers yet, I'm thinking it'll be about her year or two. It almost 3 years old now, beleive it was planted around Jan 2014. If I can remember how to upload pictures correctly, I have one pic of the whole plant (with lighter for size ref), and close ups of the front and backs of leaves. My plant looks a bit different than either of the others pictured. Compared to raintree, the leaf/leaflet structures are big; the leaflets slightly oval, are only a cm or two in size, but the whole compound leaves reach lengths of 6+in. My plant, to me, grows much like a mimosa (grown both pudica and hostilis), without thorns, and with bigger leaves. Leaves open during the day and close at night. It is different where the leaves don't seem to grow much directly from the branches, but it forms small intermediary twigs from the main branch, off to pairs of compound leaves. Hopefully you can understand what I mean by the pics.

XDX

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »

Ok here's some pics...

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »

Ok here's some pics...

Thanks XDX.   I just found some more pix from a retreat in Peru that prepares the plant for use.  Is this the same plant?

http://biopark.org/peru/bobinzana.html

XDX

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 12:18:49 AM »

Thanks! Yeah I would say that my plant looks different, and all other pictures posted look more similar. Mine is the odd ball. I know kiwi supplied some questionable IDs, and to be honest, none of my seeds were labeled, I had to guess between the 10 species or so I ordered. I beleive I posted here when I first received them asking for advice and second opinions. "Bobinsana" was the only species I ordered that would've been a momosidae/fabacea I beleive, and with the compound leaves, I went with this plant being the "Bobinsana".... So any ideas what this might be??

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 12:50:07 AM »

Im unsure of what calliandra I have but it also has mimosa like leaves

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 12:50:58 AM »

Leafs

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 01:32:03 AM »

My plant looks pretty much like XDX's plant. I'll take some fresh pics tomorrow either way.
Spreading love!

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

Thanks! Yeah I would say that my plant looks different, and all other pictures posted look more similar. Mine is the odd ball. I know kiwi supplied some questionable IDs, and to be honest, none of my seeds were labeled, I had to guess between the 10 species or so I ordered. I beleive I posted here when I first received them asking for advice and second opinions. "Bobinsana" was the only species I ordered that would've been a momosidae/fabacea I beleive, and with the compound leaves, I went with this plant being the "Bobinsana".... So any ideas what this might be??
Has it ever flowered?

XDX

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »

my plant has not flowered yet. I checked with a friend i passed one off to, and theirs died this spring, no flowers. But, based on leaves, id say my plant looks a like like Chicsa's. Where did your plant come from, chicsa? and Madplanter? i might've sent you one of mine in a trade early this year or last... i sent or two out around here...

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 03:22:27 AM »

Im unsure of what calliandra I have but it also has mimosa like leaves
Could be Calliandra haematocephela which is another Calliandra used in folk medicine: http://www.stuartxchange.com/RedPowderPuff.html
I got a small plant of one onetime from a grower in Hawaii who sold it as C. angustifolia.  Apparently the folk medicine aspect of both causes some confusion as information is scarce on angustifolia.
Leaves appear to be about 2 cm long: http://www.tropicos.org/Image/100427021http://www.tropicos.org/Image/100427021

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 03:52:12 AM »

THANKS PL!!!!

My mom bought it some years ago... Its a very old plant in my jungle.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:52:27 AM by Chicsa »

XDX

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 05:19:41 AM »

Yess thanks Plantlight! the leaves in that C. heamatocephala look like the ones on my plant! i will be sure to follow up with flowers when the show... prob another year or 2. in the meantime, gonna start reading up on the heamatocephala!
Pages: [1] 2