Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Relatively cheap a safe mutagens I can use to make a plant variety better?  (Read 15472 times)

modern

• Trading Score: +199

There are caffeine pills for sale. Jet-Alert is 200 mg per pill so easy to experiment with known amounts. I will need to find the published article but I'm sure they presoaked the seeds rather than seedlings. I'd say 1 mg per mL would be an easy starting point and you can test higher and lower concentrations.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......

Starting a trial with 200mg caffeine pills. Seed soak in hundreds of cups, 1/4pill, 1/2pill, 3/4pill, etc etc etc.
Tried surflan, but turns out its a very effective weedkiller on wombat berry, even at really low doses....
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

modern

• Trading Score: +199

You should presoak seeds in water for a few hours or days depending on the seeds used and germination speed. Then soak in caffeine for 24 hours followed by 24 hours water soak to remove excess caffeine on seed coat. The concentration of caffeine was quite low so you should dialate greatly. 200 mg would go a long way according to this published article. May still be worth testing higher concentrations though it seems less is more.

http://omicsonline.com/open-access/studies-on-the-effect-of-caffeine-on-growth-and-yield-parameters-in-helianthus-annuus-l-variety-modern-0974-8369-1-014.pdf
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3

FDK, whats your design for evaluation, do you have control groups ? Will you keep track of germination rates so we do have data about how coffeine affects germination, if it has done something will then be the later question :)
Praise is mandatory.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......

Was just gonna put a heap of disposable cups on a table, 20seeds per cup. Various concentrations caffeine from zero(control) to heaps, various time soaks, 1 hr, 6hrs, 12hrs, 24hrs, 2days, 4days.
Rinse before planting, cross fingers, see what happens.
Surviving sprouts get photographed daily/weekly/monthly.
3months later tubers as big as footballs, instead of peanuts.

Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

hereje

• Trading Score: +90
  • Zone: 5a 5b

Never heard or read about caffeine being used as a mutagen but if its a dna targeted displacement reaction a ph buffer helps the chemical react with the dna strands while lowering the liklyhood of seed death from chemical shock - i dont believe this is needed when doing rna mutations

Phosphoric acid is probly the best way to achieve this from my understanding

oh and i believe i remember reading that citric acid is a popular buffer in labs aswell
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:02:18 PM by hereje »
Hmmm... what does this button do?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3

Me too, but google shows theres several accounts on coffeine being mutagenic in funghi bacteria plants amd animals.
Praise is mandatory.

hereje

Very interesting - ill have to look into that

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3

This might have similar effect like Colchicine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelidonine
But thats just a guess.

However I got a rather small amount of seeds now :)
Praise is mandatory.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
Re: Relatively cheap a safe mutagens I can use to make a plant variety better?
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »

Question about inducing polypoloidity. Wouldent it b more effective to give small doses of a mutagen to a plant over time and harvest the seed. It seems like a fully established plant could take higher doses of the mutagen over a longer period, increasing your chances. You could even treat several species in one genus and cross them. This should work. And could I make a polypoloidal hybiscus for instance, into a tatrapoloid?  How would I know?

I was just reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_U so cool.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »

Question about inducing polypoloidity. Wouldent it b more effective to give small doses of a mutagen to a plant over time and harvest the seed. It seems like a fully established plant could take higher doses of the mutagen over a longer period, increasing your chances. You could even treat several species in one genus and cross them. This should work. And could I make a polypoloidal hybiscus for instance, into a tatrapoloid?  How would I know?

I was just reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_of_U so cool.

I think youd get a few lightly mutated genomes with a high chance of all kill switches still functioning and all, the plant will cut those of and not let their genes anywhere near their inheritance line - your seeds will probably be fine.
Praise is mandatory.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Fungophile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »

Interesting. Hence the seed soaking being the most effective option. I have many seeds and would like to do an experiment soon.

hereje

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »

Im not 100% sure of your question but if you try to cause a dna mutation in a living plant you would have a lower success rate because the plant has a dna repairing mechanism but would also have a lower fatality rate

If your shooting for mutations its generally better to mutate the seeds of a plant because they are not living yet and have no way to repair the dna you damage with the mutagen, although this has a high fatality rate for some seed species so you would wanna start with a lot of them to offset this

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Fungophile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 12:44:20 AM »

Another debatable question. If I get a successful mutation in a vegitable, is it safe to,consume?

hereje

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 05:57:56 AM »

That question has been debated for decades - but the way i personally look at it is.. just about everything grown in this country is geneticaly modified to produce higher yields for the farmer, knowingly or not ive been eating them my whole life and it hasnt killed me, harmed me, or had adverse effects, i have never met someone face to face who is ill or dying because the have eaten canned corn or green beans so im willing to bet that gmo plants are safe to consume

But theres thousands of pages of documents on both sides that says the other is wrong
Pages: 1 [2] 3