Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bioluminescent plantsd as street lamps  (Read 12721 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Bioluminescent plantsd as street lamps
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »

Check it out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2321865/Glow-dark-plants-developed-replace-street-lamps.html

I think it's a cool idea. Could have adverse effects on the ecosystem though.  Imagine a glow in the dark earth. Hehehehe.
Cactus = Life

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: Bioluminescent plantsd as street lamps
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »

oOOo pretty,  i hope this happens someday, it would be like in that movie AVATAR ;D

i remember this was on kickstarter a while ago, and here is the site; glowingplant.com

There is preorder plants and seeds, and even a DNA DIY kit, pretty cool, and expensive.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 02:01:55 AM »

I'm hoping that this if implemented would reduce light pollution :) There's gunna be a large generation of people who have never seen the full night sky soon.

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:54:51 AM »

birds will not sleep any more.... ;D ;D ;D

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 06:01:15 AM »

There's gunna be a large generation of people who have never seen the full night sky soon.
That's already true with whoever lives in or close to any major city, I agree implementing this idea would reduce light pollution. I have a semi-decent view of the night sky, maybe a B- at best... I'm not too close to the city but there's a lot of unnecessary lighting around my area that stays on all night (quite a waste of electricity if you ask me), if they were replaced with bioluminescence that would be awesome ;D

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »

If the amount of lumens is equivalent to current configurations, the light pollution will be equivalent, however ecologic the source might be.  ???
And if it doesn't produce as much light, people won't be interested, I'm afraid.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »

I just hope at the same time they put genes into them that make them asexual and infertile.
Praise is mandatory.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »

If the amount of lumens is equivalent to current configurations, the light pollution will be equivalent, however ecologic the source might be.  ???
And if it doesn't produce as much light, people won't be interested, I'm afraid.
A lot of light is wasted by being pointed upward. Check out this diagram of street light heads and the amount of light pollution it causes... By changing the head you can reduce light pollution A LOT. Its not just the lumens that are causing the pollution.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »

You bring up a good point which I hadn't thought of Chickasaw; I wonder how they would apply that concept to the bioluminescence, how would they keep the plant's glow pointing downward? Large plant shade reflectors?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:24:52 AM »

BC has made its own now, wanting a bioluminescent lamp so much  ;D

... well in fact its not the real deal its just my new bedside lamp thats electrically powered but it reminds me theres still so many things on the to do list. Maybe Vibrio sp. bacteria and other microorganisms are interesting here, also funghi, as light emitters or gene donors but I like the way more where the organism itself is employed.

Yeah I know ... for one second ... :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:29:33 AM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »

A lot of light is wasted by being pointed upward. Check out this diagram of street light heads and the amount of light pollution it causes... By changing the head you can reduce light pollution A LOT. Its not just the lumens that are causing the pollution.
Here at least all theese measures are taken and all the lamps have reflectors. When trees are to be employed to light the street one could possibly choose to only have the leaves undersides glow as the undersides of leaves are different from the top and thus must have own descriptors in genes making reflectors obsolete.

Now they start utilizing lamps that sense pedestrians and switch on in their proximity. As always one should not forget to ask how much energy is will take to employ the new system and thus after how many nights there is a break even, meaning the savings made up for the production of the sensors and relay switches and all.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:52:51 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »

http://www.plantbio.technology/forum/35-biolumineszenz-optimierung-und-regulierung-der-photonenemission/

Its german, so if someone is interested google translation might help. Anyways its a bioluminescence project that I will follow :) Its especially aimed at finding means to control the luminescence, as too much is very stressful.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:45:51 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 03:01:22 PM »

Someone has got to be able to get there hands on one. I want. This site seems iffy mostly because it was on fox news. http://www.glowingplant.com
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

kykeion

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 06:46:39 PM »

I think one shpuld also consider another possibility: Instead of getting the plant to glow on its own it appears to be a viable way to get a "glowing plant" to find a plNt that is a valuable host to glowing microorganims.

Since most organisms consist from individual cells its not always clear if one organism is only one or if several arent one anyways.
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: [1] 2