Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Storing Trichocereus Pachanoi Cuttings  (Read 4882 times)

IsntLifeGreat

Storing Trichocereus Pachanoi Cuttings
« on: June 30, 2016, 11:11:23 PM »

Hello people of STS, I need some help. I have read a decent amount of information on the subject, but i figured that I'd just ask the pros.  ;)
1)What temperature should i store columnar Cacti during summer in Northern California. It is currently 93 Degrees and raising.
2)Should i store outdside, inside, or in shade?
The few i have inside are getting what looks to be pale growth.
3)Do they have a shelf life? I want to plant as much as i can this summer but am worried i might not be able to. They are looking fine, some dehydrated, Most are plump and healthy.
Anyways, thanks for all the help, any answers or links are appreciated. Last thing, any links to tride n true ways to root Pedro please attach. Thanks all!!
Peace and Cacti!

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
Re: Storing Trichocereus Pachanoi Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:57:10 AM »

Are these recent cuttings or they already have roots? If they have roots, then get them plants as soon as possible. If recent cuttings they need a little time to heal up before planting. I generally dust the cut part with sulfur and leave them sit in a dry sheltered spot for a couple of weeks before planting. The sulfur isn't necessary, but helps to avoid rot. Some people say a few days in the sun is enough to heal the cut and they are ready to plant. You can store cacti for months of it is cool and dry, but during summer months you want to have them in soil or you are going to end up with etiliolated growth.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

IsntLifeGreat

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:29:25 AM »

Allright, so im going to cut 6 inch and 12-16 inch cuttings from these logs and let them callus. I have 3 rooted plants that aren't planted, im trying to think of the best place, should i transplant them now? Am i hurting the roots by leaving them unplanted with dry roots? And should i wet the roots until i plant them. Thanks for all the help and insight!  :) Peace!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:33:59 AM by IsntLifeGreat »
Peace and Cacti!

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 05:00:10 AM »

I have stored trichs for years in room temps, but for rooting what I do is stand them up against a wall till I have time to give them away or plant them. I just cut about 7 feet of trichs a few weeks ago and they've been in my grow room against a wall with some light hitting them.

If you keep them laying down they will sometimes root sideways by the way.

Here's a picture.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:01:24 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:23:52 AM »

What I do is mix rooting powder with sulfur 50/50 and then put it on the bottom wound and let it dry for a few weeks.  If there is no wound I just plant it and don't water till it starts growing more. If there is a wound on top I put pure sulfur on it just incase.  You do not need to use the rooting powder but it really does help.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:25:36 AM by New Wisdom »
Cactus = Life

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 08:03:05 PM »

I left two spiny peruvianus cuts laying sideways on a hot brick wall out in full southern california sun for 2+ years....they responded to my treatment by first growing aerial roots and then later, flower buds. 

Once the buds appeared I planted them upright in pots with no soil, just large rocks to hold them upright as the buds continue to develop into full blown flowers...

when mother nature comes along & snaps off stems from tall columnars, I let mother nature continue her course; the plants are 100% on their own.  Like who is cruising around in the Andes Mts, cutting broken stems at an angle for water drainage & powdering them up with sulfur??  These plants are far more tougher & durable than most people give them credit for.

I have 3 rooted plants that aren't planted, im trying to think of the best place, should i transplant them now? Am i hurting the roots by leaving them unplanted with dry roots? And should i wet the roots until i plant them. Thanks for all the help and insight!

generally speaking dry roots = dead roots when it comes to cactus plants, most especially the finer thinner roots.  thicker roots may have life left in them, but they will need to grow out finer roots to begin to provide the plant with what it needs to grow. If you consider the fact that a cactus cut will grow brand new roots in air or 100% bone dry soil, what makes a person think the cutting, its dried roots, or the potting soil 'needs' water?  Watering the soil, the cutting or its dried roots could very well lead to rot. 

the very best place for your rooted yet unplanted plants is to pot them up in pots, use rocks or stakes to support the columns and put them in full morning sun & try to ignore them for a few months
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First

IsntLifeGreat

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:54:54 PM »

Hi, thanks for all the info. I am wondering if anybody can tell me how big/long is too big/long? I have lots if 3in diameter 4ft long cuttings some are older than others. Does age matter?. I want to just lay a log horizontally and root. Last question- If I have new questions like this, should i start a new thread. Thank you very much. I haven't had alot of luck finding correct cutting size. Most say 12in. Again, thank you all!
Peace and Cacti!

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 01:57:11 AM »

cutting size can be anything you want, its your cut is it not? :)

it can be young or old, short & fat or long & slender, you get to decide. 

plump, well hydrated cacti will root much quicker than dried out ones, although  they all root at some point in time

Generally speaking,  planting horizontally typically results in multiple roots & multiple stems, however you have no control where the stems emerge from the log.   
By cutting into 12" cuts & rooting vertically however, you will get bigger fatter plants rather than getting 1-2 thinner  ones. A vertical planted center cut trich can grow 1-4 fat pups generally speaking.

A long term issue is allowing adequate grow spacing to avoid crowding as the stems mature and branch.  At a minimum, in ground trichs should be no less than 24" apart when planted.

For rooting either vertical  or horizontal, a twelve inch minimum cut size for any trich cut is highly recommended and the bigger the better from there. 

Do some personal testing, vertically grow a 12" rooted center cut from each horizontal log you plant.  Grow them both the same.   

Nothing tops first hand experience. ;)
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First