Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Undrainable Container Gardening  (Read 3823 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Undrainable Container Gardening
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »

I use containers with no holes anywhere to let the water go out, for geminating seeds.
It helps to keep the soil moist at all times.
Can the same thing be done to grow mature plants?
What happens if I do it and every week just give it some water enough to drown 1cm height of soil from bottom?
Will that damage the plant?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: Undrainable Container Gardening
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »

The soil ends up hydrophobic(I think that's the word. Water stops soaking in, just runs off) on the surface, and thin layer of plant oils and waxes build up where the water comes to, then the very bottom decomposes to dust, and the whole soil level drops in a big plug like mass.
It works ok short term, 12months or so on medium-large plants, then they need to be mixed and "repotted". 
I have used a similar system with 20lt buckets, 44gallon drums  and IBC tanks in the bush during the dry times. Bigger containers work better for longer.
Kept stuff alive, minimized water loss, but yeah, not ideal. When water is an issue then ideal is out of the question so I will no doubt do it again.
Gravel and rock on the bottom with large spaces for a water catchment, medium grain in the middle with high surface area for fats and waxes to bind to, and fine material on the top.
Slows the degradation, but yeah, closed system is quickly depleted unless you are able to add compost and life like worms(or lawn grubs. They eat the compost before the plant roots so on the whole, when managed correctly, I reckon they are beneficial) to redistribute the layers evenly as time goes on.

Best (in my limited experience) to have a freely draining medium, like a sandy soil mix, and recycle the water after it drains through the soil.
The period of dry is needed as plants need the water pockets in the soil, to fill with air between watering.
Constant water causes root rot with most stuff on a long enough time line.
The same issues happen with drip irrigation VS sprinklers in large scale commercial farming.
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »

So it's a suitable method for growing annual plants like Phalaris, right?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:29:09 PM »

Some phalaris will surely love it, some will hate it, highly depends. But if Phalaris was annuals, I would be sowing several hectares of my lawn every year :D
Praise is mandatory.

BotanyBay

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 07:08:23 AM »

From my limited experience, severely over-watering plants lead to stunted growth (or worse, rotten) root and attracts a lot of insects.

What material are your containers made out of? I usually just drill a bunch of ~1cm diameter holes in mine with a power drill.

dEEcor

• Trading Score: +10
  • Germany https://prism-break.org ॐ
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »

Let´s seee.....

Edit: harmala bullshit. It´s B. caapi
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:51:54 AM by dEEcor »