Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: unknown problem with peppers  (Read 8506 times)

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
unknown problem with peppers
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:13:03 AM »

This has bothered me for a few weeks. I can't figure out what is going on here. My own research brings me to a dead end. The problem affects only the Fresno plants. These are three of 150 pepper plants. Seeds were taken from store bought chilis. It does seem that the purchased jalapenos are showing the same signs. No visible pests are apparent. In fact, all other pests have been nearly eliminated from the grow room. We have had mites, scale and aphids. The lemon plant does have some remaining scale but they seem confined to it. The brugmansia has an unknown pest eating its leaves that leaves a mucus trail. We cant find the creature responsible. We have done neem treatment on all the plants and especially this Fresno. Please help!

fairdinkumseeds

• Trading Score: +545
  • May you reap exactly what you sow......
Re: unknown problem with peppers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:49:43 AM »

Is that salt looking stuff accumulated evaporated fertilizer, or is that the critter?
Sucks, but AU-OS trade isn't cost effective or reliable anymore. Aussie trade encouraged, especially for cactus, dragonfruit, and colour fruited columns.
Hit me up! --> fairdinkumseeds.com/contact

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:59:55 AM »

shot in the dark but mealy bugs?
 maybe Here's a close up of what they look like.

Salt, mold, fertilizer? hard to tell... Take a magnifying glass to it and see if you can see more

sporehead

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »

Fertilizers have been discontinued. I had a problem a month ago with overfertilizing but i flushed the soil on all plants and they bounced back. Mealy bugs? Hard to tell. I have a magnifying glass but haven't busted it out yet. I will tomorrow. This is so strange.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »

Fertilizers have been discontinued. I had a problem a month ago with overfertilizing but i flushed the soil on all plants and they bounced back. Mealy bugs? Hard to tell. I have a magnifying glass but haven't busted it out yet. I will tomorrow. This is so strange.

I have had something very similar-looking on B. caapi leaves before. Neem oil seems to be the magic solution for the B. caapi infection. I'll take some photos later today.

Hcc

sporehead

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »

I neemed them already. See the darker stuff on the lower leaves? Thats what happened after the application. Th lighter stuff has not been treated.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 12:15:21 AM »

I doubt this is of any relevance but when iboga gets too humid over time a similar white waxy like build up occurs. Maybe that type of pepper likes it in drier air???
Spreading love!

sporehead

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 04:52:49 AM »

Under the microscope it does not look like a critter. Most peppers like high heat and mid humidity. I'll repost this/bump on the hot pepper forum.

teonanocatl

• Trading Score: +28
  • ashes in the riiver, I step into the flow.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:15 AM »

you could try to spray the leaves of worm casting compost tea, no matter what the problem is it could might help
dont worry, B. Caapi.

sporehead

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 02:09:09 AM »

Edema! Someone on another forum solved it. caused from excess water. Close enough madplanter. This is strange because most peppers will die in these conditions. Stranger still, I have cut back on watering them to the point they wilt and one nearly died. It's bouncing back now after losing most of its leaves. As it grows I'll monitor to see if new growth exhibits these symptoms. Might be time to pot up and increase drainage in the new soil. Which is odd because its the same soil mix as the other 147 peppers.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 02:54:03 AM »

Just wanted to say spore head that the pepper seeds I got from you had nearly 100% germination rates! Now there's all kinds of crazy peppers going on over here! Thanks mam!
Spreading love!

sporehead

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »

That's great to hear! I also got germination rates like that. Super viable seeds make too many plants. I didn't even need to sow extra!